Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks, here is the deal.. I currently have a ZC which up until a few hours ago, I was dead set on having it totally rebuilt for boost.

My buddy just called me, and I can buy a LS motor for $100. This motor will also need to be rebuilt, and I can only think one thing.. LS/VTEC!

I have wanted to do an LS/VTEC swap forever.. I have also wanted to build up my ZC for a long time too.. In all actuality, I will probably get the LS and end up building both of them, so its kind of a mute point.. but the question remains.. which one???

I know with the LS im still going to need mounts, axels, tranny, ECU, and shift linkage, plus some more wiring.. plus a VTEC head... but on the other hand.. for my ZC im still going to have to get a ZC tranny( hybrid), LSD, axels, and some other ECU..

the rest of the build up will be pretty much the same stuff.. rods pistons and all the misc stuff that im going to have to do regardless of which motor..

so what would you do?

im leaning towards building the LS/VTEC and keeping my ZC in the car until im ready to do the whole swap.. that way I still have a driver, while the one motor is getting worked on..

I have an 90 hatch, and an 89si.. so I can still use both motors in the future.. I just dont know which one to do now.

what would you do?

later

Sneak

·
Registered
214 Posts
hey I have a 90 hatch and a 89 crx si.hmm.. recently took the zc out to build it for boost too.hmmm..

I would go b18 turbo if it was me. the zc is the little brother to a b18

·
Registered
78 Posts
Depends on how much headache you're willing to endure. I know firsthand that LSVtec's/CRVtec's are a pain to put together if you're going to do 'em right. ZC buildup is easier.

'course, there's nothing like a CRVtec growling at 8000+ RPM's :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have Terry give me a call I'll take the LS. Well atleast I'm assuming it's Terry. You know what I would do Sneak. LS/VTEC in the CRX and keep the ZC in the hatch for now till you have the cash to build it and have the LS/VTEC running in the rex. Just my $.02
Wes

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Well, no one can argue that youre getting the LS for a decent price.... Your biggest expense on the LS/VTEC will be the vtec head, it seems that everyone wants sells the head for almost as much as a B16 longblock(hmotors sells longblocks for 600, and the average B16 head Ive seen goes for around 500 and up) plus youll want a vtec transmission... Id use the ZC for a DD while building the LS/VTEC

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
<~~~ has a b16 vtec head available.... pm for det's

Personally, i've never been a big fan of ZC's necessarily, especially if you are going for boost... no denying the power potential of a well-built B... the D/ZC just doesn't quite have that same ability.

·
Registered
711 Posts
ComposiMo said:
<~~~ has a b16 vtec head available.... pm for det's

Personally, i've never been a big fan of ZC's necessarily, especially if you are going for boost... no denying the power potential of a well-built B... the D/ZC just doesn't quite have that same ability.
I have to disagree... now, please don't rag on me for not being so experienced... but i have seen a few boosted d's that have joined the 300whp+ club... for a cheaper price than a well-built B...

i'm not talking about skimping on parts either, its just parts tend to be cheaper for the under-rated D... So a well-built D would make me smile anyday :wink:

·
Registered
214 Posts
ComposiMo said:
Dren said:
Nothing beats a NA screaming high revving Honda engine.
Sure there is... a turbo'd screaming high revving Honda engine.. :p

And if you've never been in a good one, then i highly suggest you take a ride sometime... NA will never be the same ;)
A turbo'd honda engine will definitely change how you think of n/a setups. More torque, more horsepower, and being pressed into the seat for every freaking second the accellerater is pressed (after 2-3k rpm). Turbo engines just never stop pulling, even at 1k passed redline. It actually feels like the car is out of control in regards to accellerating, like you can't stop it.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
coldtotouch said:
I have to disagree... now, please don't rag on me for not being so experienced... but i have seen a few boosted d's that have joined the 300whp+ club... for a cheaper price than a well-built B...

i'm not talking about skimping on parts either, its just parts tend to be cheaper for the under-rated D... So a well-built D would make me smile anyday :wink:
I won't 'rag' on ya, but i will point something out... part-for-part, the B will be more powerful, and capable of way more than any D, and do it much more reliably.

For instance, the car that recently just got done here at the shop.... First of all, ignore that it is a Type-R, if it was a GSR, it'd still be as capable of the power it got... a GSR swap (or LS/VTEC, which would have more torque to) is well within reach of the average person doing a swap. Heck, even if it was a B16, it still would have come close to the same kind of power it got with that turbo... it just would have had a slightly later powerband.

Anyway, his engine has -nothing- done to it, other than a thicker headgasket, and ARP studs. At 8.5-9psi, it made 312whp... and the turbo in the car is capable of close to 600whp, and right now, his only limitation to that power goal is the internals... however, the engine is capable of handling upwards of 400-450whp in its current state and still be decently reliable.... he just needs to upgrade the Map sensor to see the boost (still running stock Map :p ), and turn up the boost.

As for D's... well, you can't say that same thing. I've seen some fairly powerful D's out there, yes... but none with the reliabiltiy of the same B setups i've seen.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Oh, and in case it wasn't noticed, i'm not including the initial cost of doing a swap when i'm thinking of the cost of a turbo setup... that should be a separate issue entirely, especially since he's obviously thinking of doing the swap anyway....

However i'd still rather have a stock turbo'd B like that black car we just got finished with, than a fully built D... in which case, both could be done for around the same (all-inclusive) price... or so.

Ah, to hell with it.... TURBO K!!! yAy! 8)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.