Honda CRX Forum banner

While you're fighting your war....

4K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  SETI20 
#1 ·
....we're still fighting our own.

Just an illustration on what scars a war will leave. You can prepare yourself for these things the next 60 years.

Life imprisonment for former SS member
A former Dutch citizen that joined the German SS in WW2, and has killed at least 3 members of the underground resistance, will have to finish a life in prison sentence, so the court in Aken (Germany) has decided.
The 85 year old defendant will have to serve up his sentence in a German prison.

The man had been sentenced to death per absentee in 1949, but by that time had already fled to Germany. The sentence was later rescinded to life imprisonment. Since 1980 the Dutch government has been trying to have the defendant extradited. In 2003, the Dutch ministry of justice requested the German courts to execute the sentence in Germany instead. This request has now been granted. The defendant could still appeal his case to the supreme court in Cologne.

The man lost his Dutch citizenship after he was sentenced to death in Amsterdam, for aiding the enemy, and treason during a time of war.
Since then, Germany has viewed the man as with no nationality. It's still judicially undecided if the man can be seen as a German citizen, since he was never officially granted citizenship. Germany has a no-extradition policy.

The Netherlands has long since abolished the death penalty. But during times of war, death by firing squad is technically still possible.

#27 ·
Angry said:
SETI20 said:
Are planting roadside bombs in Iraq, killing US soldiers acts of terrorism, or acts of heroism?
Depends on which side your looking from....
Most of the time it is neither, the people here are not dumb. They understand survival and they are very calculating. Unfortunately I feel that we won the war too fast, and we didnt even realize it at the time. That is a different topic for a different time though.
As far as this man paying back to society for what he did 50 years ago, my personal opinion is that he should be punished now as he would have been then.

#28 ·
ok first off I think that we've both began to track a little off topic. Now I feel like I'm trying to defend terrorism or Nazis and I don't want to do that. I want to get back to the man who is being jailed for joining the Germans and killing his own people. You never did answer my questions as to wether or not they know if he shot civilians. And I still say that he did the exact same thing as some of the Germans who left to fight along side the allies. Yes he was wrong as WE see it to join the Germans. But then why are we not jailing the Germans who left to fight their own people? Why aren't the Americans who fought in the revolutionary war considered to have committed treason against the British?.......It's all because they just happened to be on the winning side when it was all said and done. Anyways I'll talk more later but I have to go to school early and then I have to work untill late tonight so you'll have plenty time to say that I'm wrong and all that good stuff. :lol:

#29 ·
Again, like I said.
The war tribunal does not look at which side you were fighting on.
It judges the actions of a man individually.

The reason German defectors aren't on trial, is that they were either shot on the spot, or got away. The regime from back then has fallen. So who is going to press charges? The current German government considers those people heroes.
Our regime is in tact, after the war. So obviously defectors can still be charged. And we do.

I don't know the evidence. But there are plenty of witnesses and survivors left. Both the Germans and the Dutch are pencil pushers, and have always kept records of just about anything.

There are still records around from the time Holland was a port where African slaves were traded, and shipped to the US.

#30 ·
MarkWilliamson said:
By your standard, John Walker Lindt (sp?) should be freed?

quote]

No Mark, I said earlier that I think he should be thrown in jail. These are not my standards.......these are not my moral beleifs. If you would stop to think about what I say in my post instead of just reading them you would maybe understand what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying let him go and I'm not saying that I think we should imprison the German defectors either. I'm saying that LEGALLY thats what should be happening. Thats all I've been trying to say all along and I feel like everyone thinks that I want him to go free or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.