Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok like stated in the title, I have had a leaky hatch ever since i bought my car about a year and a half ago, its soo fustraiting. I dont have the back cargo cover and you can see by the spare tire and its left surface rust in the whole back part........... its seems to be coming out by the trunk shocks. Im wondering who has had this problem and the process they went through in order to fix it..... i want to clean up so i can repaint for spring....... please help

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
very common problem...

The seam sealer under the rubber drip rails has deteriorated, and your water is most likely running in there. Another spot, if you have an Si, is the sunroof drain tubes. If they are plugged water will run over the tray and into the hatch. The third spot to check is the rear window squirter.

·
Administrator
16,557 Posts
Everyone has this problem. (If you don't, don't post here because I hate you :evil: :p)

This is a very common problem and threads show up for it every few weeks. Basically, your taillight gaskets leak, the seam sealer underneath and behind the "rain gutters" cracks and allows rain to seep through, and if you've got an Si, the sunroof drain tubes can clog.

So, replace the taillight gaskets (easy to make your own with foam rubber from Lowe's), smear some clear silicone on the cracked seam sealer, and use compressed air to clear out your sunroof drain tubes where applicable.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I actually have this problem again, after fixing my rear squirter a while ago. It's still sealed well, so I assume it's the seam sealer around the hatch (coming from both struts). Could someone post some pics of exactly where to put the sealer?

·
Registered
39 Posts
downest said:
I actually have this problem again, after fixing my rear squirter a while ago. It's still sealed well, so I assume it's the seam sealer around the hatch (coming from both struts). Could someone post some pics of exactly where to put the sealer?
I second this, since I'm having the same issue. Let's see some pics.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
I believe you need to remove the rubber from the the drip rails, then put a thin coat of silicone sealer over the rear section... I would just do the entire length of the roof so you don't have water coming in anywhere. If you are pulling them, have new ones ready to go in. They aren't really reusable.

You could probably apply sealer over the top of the rubber in the drip rail too. It just won't look as nice.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
if those drip rails leak, or the hatch struts leak, can the water come in from above the tail light ?? that's where I see water in my car, but I can't pinpoint where on the outside it's finding a path... ?? the tails themselves are sealed, it seems to be getting around the body panels somehow.

I'm way confused, here's a couple pics. The water's final entry seems to be behind the "X" panel around where the two arrows would meet.

Any ideas? :idea:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't have this issue but the last 3 I owned before the sir and my buddy's all leaked.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
madman4you said:
lets start a photo albulm of everyones problem areas and post on here to norrow it down with more detail.................yeah
sorry dude, I can pull my response, your "yeah" part sounds like you don't want me cluttering your thread here.

if not, cool, but either way I'm trying to get more ideas to help everyone. let me know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ragnaarok said:
madman4you said:
lets start a photo albulm of everyones problem areas and post on here to norrow it down with more detail.................yeah
sorry dude, I can pull my response, your "yeah" part sounds like you don't want me cluttering your thread here.

if not, cool, but either way I'm trying to get more ideas to help everyone. let me know.
naw dude it was serious... i want to see pics. its all good

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
madman4you said:
...its all good
excellent!

well to tell you more...today I pulled the quarter window trim and the trim to the rear of the headliner...and found water.

so I pulled the visors, etc, and removed the whole headliner.

the water coming in is so little, that it seems it flowed across the plastic trim, down the top of the quarter trim, through a tiny hole in the body seams at the rear, and down to the rear floor. all this time I thought the leak was in the back, and it's not...argh.

I didn't have my camera around, so pics will come later, but it seems I might finally find the leak after all. Pouring water didn't recreate the leak, so I'm waiting for warm snow / rain before I start slapping sealer everywhere. Money's on the rear washer nozzle for now, have to wait and see. The water always goes to the drivers side, and the washer hose goes that way, so it may be running across the hose and then down. I'm excited I may have this damn problem nipped soon. :twisted:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.