Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting an ACT Pro-lite flywheel (8.4 lbs, Forged Chrome-Moly Steel). I have driven a car with a very light flywheel before, and I really liked the engine response. My other option would be to lighten the stock one down to about 13 lbs or so.

Who else here has a lightened flywheel? What kind of experiences have you had with it?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have a lightened flywheel for 3 years now. no problemo whatsoever. I have a ACT extreme pressure plate on it too.

Response is better than stock, but I cannot tell compared to a 8.3lbs.

Shops here shave the flywheel to 11lbs.

1 thing tho. on my first car, I bought a used lightened flywheel. I had the same pressure plate, BUT, I had a 4 pok, sproketless ACT clutch disc. The ring gear on the flywheel warped, thus rubbing in th tranny housing. I dont know why it happened.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Yes, the same guy that has the flywheel for sale also has an ACT Xtreme pressure plate with Modified Street clutch for sale. I'm probably going to pick them all up at the same time since they are brand new in the original packaging and a pretty decent price. And while I have everything apart, I'm going to install a used Quaife that I managed to pick up for half the price of brand new. As you can imagine, I'm pretty excited about this combination of upgrades. :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have a 8.5 pound clutchmasters aluminum flywheel that got shaved to resurface the disc area, so it is a little bit less than 8 pounds. I thought I read that the ideal, for naturally aspirated cars, is 13 pounds for drag racing.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I've finally got the flywheel installed, and I must say this: I *LOVE* IT!!! Throttle response is awesome! A whole bunch of people were saying that my combination of the ACT Xtreme Pressure plate, Performance Street Disc, and the ACT 8.4 lbs flywheel would be completely un-drivable on the street. One word for all those people: WRONG! The clutch is very grabby, and the pressure plate makes the pedal really stiff, but it is definitely a joy to drive. It's not much more difficult to drive in stop and go with this combination. The idle is still really smooth, so obviously the lightened flywheel is still providing enough inertia for daily driving.

A lot of people also asked me why I would choose a performance street disc with the xtreme pressure plate. They recommended the 4 or 6 puck racing clutches. However, this is a daily driver, and those types of clutches are definately not very streetable. Also, you still want your clutch to be the weakest point in your drivetrain so that you don't start breaking transmission components.

·
Registered
220 Posts
stickershop said:
Also, you still want your clutch to be the weakest point in your drivetrain so that you don't start breaking transmission components.
And that is why I will never use anything but an OEM clutch from now on. I had to learn the hard way. :evil: (That was with an ACT street disc too.)

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chet90si said:
And that is why I will never use anything but an OEM clutch from now on. I had to learn the hard way. :evil: (That was with an ACT street disc too.)
What part(s) did you break? I know that the stiffer pressure plates are very hard on the stock differential...and I'm still trying to get my hands on a Quaife to prevent that issue from coming up.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I broke the pinion shaft. Number 9

I had a stock flywheel, street performance disc, and Xtreme rressure plate. I practically babied the transmission, never slammed gears. :( [/url]

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok...that's sort of what I suspected. I've heard of exactly that problem with the Heavy Duty pressure plates too. It's obvious that it's a weak point in the transmisison. Hopefully the Quaife will overcome that shortcoming.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I heard that they started hardening that shaft in 91 or after 91, I forget. I have seen a few of those chip and crack in pieces. So apparently if you get one from a newer car 91 or after 91 it should be ok.

·
Registered
85 Posts
92 and up d series pinion shafts will fit into our trannys. The only difference is it is harden steel. Much more reliable. Neal broke his in reverse backing out of a drive way. Opps!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I scored a good clutch and p plate and flywheel the other day. .. . they came on my zc I bought.. I am thinking about giving it to my machinest froend to take to work and cut the back down a little.. . how much weight can i shave off the stock one.. . . .just looking for some free d power..
is there a noticable difference by doing it??? i know back from my v8 chevy days that we used to run aluminum flywheels on our dirt track cars and they would rev really quick and were really responsive. . . . and hints here ?????

Chris

·
Registered
214 Posts
There is a balance here. Too light is bad for naturally aspirated, I can't break the tires loose between shifts now, and sometimes my car stalls out. It depends if you are drag racing too, you want some weight to keep momentum and carry power into the next gear. Like I said in the previous post, I thought I read that 13 pounds was the right weight for drag racing, but circle track I don't know about. It may be for circle track that you want a really light flywheel so you can vary your gas pedal with better response. I've never circled raced so...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts