Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I want to get my motorcycle license this summer and I've been looking for a bike to buy. Then I remembered reading on here about a few of you guys having bikes. So I was just wondering who here has their motorcycle license and what kind of bike do you have?

Anyways I'm thinking I'll probably get a kawasaki ninja 250r. I really want something a bit bigger because I'm afraid I'll get bored with a small bike like that but it's the only bike in my price range that I would be able to get a newer one and not have to worry too much about something breaking on it. Plus I've been reading and it seems that their about as fast as a stock mustang from 0-60 so it's not too slow I guess. Should be a good bike to learn on at least. Plus as long as I'm riding this summer I'll be happy......I can alwasy upgrade to a bigger bike in the future.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've got two bikes now. An 05 Suzuki DRZ400SM (supermoto street bike I've put about 9k km on it) and a 06 Yamaha FZ6(just bought it, still only like 20km on it).

Only thing with the 250r is that if you plan on doing any highway with it your going to get blown around and its not going to have much power at that point(I don't think atleast).

Having a bike is great if you have the self control. You just have to remember that there are times and places that are 'safer' to go fast. The city is not one of them.

·
Registered
319 Posts
In the autumn, I sold my 91 Civic wagon 4WD and a week later, bought a (now) 26-year-old Honda bike. It's an 81 CB750 Custom. I've had a bike before in the early 90s in Ontario. It was a year younger than my current one yet this one runs better. I have pretty much the CB750 into original condition. I'm going to apply for a Collector plate soon.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am still concerned that the 250r is going to have less power than what I want but where I live I don't plan on doing much highway riding so I don't think that should be too big of a factor for me. Price is my biggest limitting factor in what I can buy and I think the smaller motor should keep insurance price down too (I'm only 17 so I'm sure the insurance companies are going to make a killing off of me :oops: ). The only way I could afford a bigger bike is to either wait a year untill next summer or make payments. My parents have already said no to payments on anything untill I move out of the house and I figure I can always sell the 250r when I have the money to get a bigger bike in a year or two.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I've had a few bikes. I also had a 81 CB750C, I had a 80 CB750F as well. Now I've got a 98 kawasaki zx6r.

JKG, I think you're right in getting a 250 ninja. good starter bike, and they retain their value. Ride it for a year, learn, fall down, get up and learn some more. Then, when you are ready, sell it and get something a little bigger. Its cheaper to insure, its easier to toss around, and if you do drop it, you wont be as pissed as if you dropped a new 600cc bike or something.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got the ultimate beater of all beaters as far as bikes go... Mine is a 1975 Yamaha SR500. To those that aren't bike people that means no electric start. I got the good old kick start where if you don't do it right it kicks back. The bike is truly a frakenstein bike. It has parts from about 6 give or take bikes. Pops bought it for about 200 not running and she's currently running. But hey it works for me it looks like a bike straight out of mad max.

·
Registered
23 Posts
JKG08 said:
I am still concerned that the 250r is going to have less power than what I want but where I live I don't plan on doing much highway riding so I don't think that should be too big of a factor for me. Price is my biggest limitting factor in what I can buy and I think the smaller motor should keep insurance price down too (I'm only 17 so I'm sure the insurance companies are going to make a killing off of me :oops: ).
That bike is got plenty of power for a first time rider. Any one that rides knows at one point or another you WILL drop it so its best to learn on a smaller "beater" bike to get used to the feel and then like you said move your way up. The ninja's a great bike and although its small engine size it'll still get you from point a to point b. As far as the insurance goes a way that you can get it lowered is Motorcylce Safety Courses. You can find them at dealerships or even technical colleges. After you take one of these you get a little card and you take that to the insurance company and it helps out alot. Good luck with learning to ride man!

·
Registered
23 Posts
MarkWilliamson said:
A friend of mine is a trauma nurse. She has a name for people that ride those "crotch rocket" style motorcyles: Organ Donors.
True... but like anything its all about the driver. Just the same as people think all honda owners are ricers and what not its the same with crotch rockets sadly though most are.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've got a yzf600r and also a ninja zx-7r...

The ninja is a great bike to learn on, BuT its ugly.. If you want a "decent bike for cheap" just to learn on with the looks of a "agressive sport bike" try the HYOSUNG GT250R

My buddy has the GT650R and I rode it , I have to say Its a pretty solid ass bike, they come with a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty also... just keep it in mind..

·
Registered
354 Posts
danielleb said:
:shock: ^^^^ That Bike is so nice!
Why thank you! I spent the last 3 years rebuilding it! Pretty much did everything myself. I'm hoping I can do a paint job like that on my CRX. Never painted anything like a car before. Strictly small stuff. Oh, the seat is orange, not pink! I get some much crap for that. My wife picked out the colors! She has good taste! And of course nothing but a Honda!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sweetj said:
hey blackbird what do you ride with the cr just trail or you race and if so what?
Mostly trail. I have a 5000 acre ranch here in Wyoming. I can ride all day! I love it. I want to get into enduros and scrambles but I'm getting to old. My knees aren't what they use to be. That 450 is amazing! Love it.

You ride/race?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ya i ride and absolutely love it! Wish I had that kind of option with places to ride. Pops worked in bike shops all over the map so definetly have an influence there. As far as racing not really always wanted to and have been looking into doing some flat track just amatuer stuff nothing serious. I like your blackbird btw. At first I was kinda dissapointed that you changed the color but definetly looks good. What all do you have done to it?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.