Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
People always say 56k beware when they post pics. Its my opinion that no one has 56k anymore. So, that is what this aims to determine. Do we have any 56k or slower users here?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
MarkWilliamson said:
I'm a self-confessed Luddite and even I have cable modem!
Well, Ned was right.

At home, I'm on (less than) 56K, usually I get connections in the lower 40s. Not by choice, mind you, but I haven't any other viable options yet. There's no cable modem service in my area, and although sprint has the tech within 3 miles for DSL, they won't hook it up until they have 150 customers for it. (Of course, they can't get customers for a service they don't offer, so whatrugonna do?) Satellite has very high latency, and some of the stuff I need to be able to do requires normal latency, even if it would work at my place, which ain't likely (sitting at the bottom of a northern slope by a creek in the woods). Even cell phones are iffy at my place (when I had one, I could get a signal on the balcony off the bedroom if I stood at the south west corner, but inside the house or on the ground, no go).

There's a local ISP that's trying to set up a 900 MHz wireless system, if they get that up I'll try that out. Other than that, I could go with ISDN, but getting that is a PITA since you have to cross vendors here to get it. I didn't like it when I supported it for others, been holding out for something better.

Speaking as a net admin, you'd be surprised at who still uses dialup.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I have cable but my computer is so slow I might as well have less. My friends computer runs faster on DSL haha. I need a new comp and I have the money for it but I have other things I wanna buy this summer and a computer isn't on the top of the list.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Until just a few weeks ago I still had dial up. Bellsouth didn't have DSL available in the couple block area I live in, even though damn near every where else around me did have it. Now I finally switched to cable, and like Dave said, I got the $5 more than dial up option. Loving it!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Fiber here :lol:
I know that this may come as a shock, but most of the bases in Iraq have a lot of fiber ran. Wireless is not allowed, for security reasons. The only drawback is all links out are satellite, but that is the only delay. The networks here that are controlled are very very fast. I can't go into details on this stuff, but I will say that a T1 connection is nothing...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
3 meg through verizon. here. . . I sell USA CHOICE Internet at my computer shop. . ..and we still sell allot of it. . . . to people in town as well as the people who can not get cable or dsl. . . . .satellite is still to pricey for someone with normal usage requirements. . .

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have dial-up. I *wish* it was 56k - it's usually more like 24k. :)

Actually, in all honesty, I don't even have that any more. I now have no internet service whatsoever at home. Figured that since my computer died, why bother paying for crappy dial-up I'm not even using?

Mike

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
i have 56k :( i used to have dsl ,and i miss it so much .It sucks living in the sticks ,it takes me like 10 miuntes to look at one page of pics lol

oh and i really have less then 56k since i usually run at a constant 42k a second :lol:

its just SAD

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
phatboycrxhf said:
oh and i really have less then 56k since i usually run at a constant 42k a second :lol:
56k is a lie--the most you can get is about 52k and that's on a short phone run with good lines. 42-44 is the usual speed....

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Cable here from WOW(wideopenwest)..its good to live in suburbia.. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.