916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad is thinking about importing one.

Black
5-Speed
Glasstop
-100,000kms

etc.

If we were to provide shipping and it was legal to register in the states, what would you guys be willing to pay/what is a fair asking price for such vehicle?

·
Registered
343 Posts
You win the award for stupidest question every posted! I think most people on here would gladly give a limb for one. Just as long as it's not the cluch foot or shifting arm. :lol:

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lumpy53 said:
You win the award for stupidest question every posted! I think most people on here would gladly give a limb for one. Just as long as it's not the cluch foot or shifting arm. :lol:
lol. How much would you be willing to pay for such example? I'm just looking to see if it's worth the effort...

·
Registered
343 Posts
baker_jeff said:
Lumpy53 said:
lol. How much would you be willing to pay for such example? I'm just looking to see if it's worth the effort...
Dos'nt matter can't bring it into th US :cry:. But if I had the money I say about $5-6K.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Lumpy53 said:
Dos'nt matter can't bring it into th US :cry:. But if I had the money I say about $5-6K.
Whats prevented us from bringing them into the states? I think we have an importing year just like canada. I think its the same, 15 years.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
babyblucrx said:
jeez that's crazy. i bet getting one from overseas would be alot more. IS there a specific reason they have these regulations or is it just one more stupid law
Another stupid law purportedly for safety and emissions -- but really to protect the vested interests of the automakers.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Great cars, but if we're talking right hand drive, there's no way I would daily-drive (or regularly drive) a RHD car. Passing cars on the highway in one of those has to be a nightmare. I don't understand why people think it's cool to drive a car that's set up for countries that drive on the other side of the road -- talk about form over function...and don't even get me started on people who spend endless time and effort (as well as cash) on converting their LHD USDM car to RHD...ugh. If I want a B16 and some JDM goodies, I'll buy them and swap them into a USDM Si (heck even the glasstop is do-able), and not have to deal with RHD, trying to register a foriegn-market car, etc. I think they're cool as hell, but I sure wouldn't want to deal with all that.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
RHD cars are faily easy to get used to. I will even admit to the fact that dragracing is easier with them, cause I"m right handed, and prefer that hand on the wheel.

Thats where it ends for me tho. There are tons of parking garages where I go. And I refuse to make a fool out of myself by getting out of the car unless I were driving a skyline.

Converting a car to RHD? Not even going to go into that.

Now I am facing a dilemma myself. When I move to the states as a dutchman. I can bring my car without any problems. I just have o get it insured for driving in the states. I can have that done back home.
Now what if I were to become an american citizen...I cant use my dutch plates anymore.
How hard is it going to be, for me, to register a car that I brought over LEGAL, when I switch nationalities....

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
You will get pulled over in no time with Dutch plates. Trust me.

Here's some info about all the issues for foreign residents.

Are you really moving here? If so, Fort Worth is a beautiful community. :wink:

Sure would not mind your expertise close by...

·
Administrator
16,557 Posts
I'm right handed, but I prefer LHD because then the right hand is shifting. I drove a RHD Jeep Wrangler a couple years ago. Maybe because it was my only short experience with RHD, but I did not like shifting with my left hand at all.

One of my left-handed friends drove one of his friend's RHD Silvia, and he said shifting with his left hand was so much better. He'd still never consider a RHD conversion though, too much work.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
On a side note, I never looked into it, but could you import one from canada for parts? Not a SiR (I wouldnt part a SiR,might as well shoot myself in the foot) but maybe a JDM Spec Si? (ZC)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.