Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen imports around that will have aftermarket rims on the back and steel rims on the front. I asked one owner why they do that and he said it was for racing.

Would someone mind explaining this to me? The guy seemed kind of pissed that I even asked.

·
Registered
818 Posts
more like its for dragging... and its kinda bull if you ask me.. the thing is your stock steel rim is heavier puting more weight in the front of a front wheel drive car helping with traction.. the other thing is often someone will go with a bigger rim when they buy aftermarket rims and use low profile tires which cost more and if your drag racing your going to be burning up your front tires faster than your rear tires... personally i think its just subjective and a bit lame looking

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty much what I figured. I kind of viewed it as possibly having some reasons, but not worth the hassle of swapping out tires. Either that, or they could only afford 2 rims. I just think it looks dumb.

The only reason I'm looking at getting a second set of tires is for track days. As a daily driver, I keep my stock on there. The only PIA with mine is that I have offset wheels (8-1/2 & 9-1/2) so I can't rotate them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry... I should have been more clear. What I meant was, can our cars be built with that power, but still be daily drivers. I wasn't including exclusive drag cars / trailer cars.

My old camero was just shy of 700 Hp, but you couldn't drive it to the store and back without having to readjust something. It was wound so tight, it wasn't practical to drive around town.

·
Registered
779 Posts
It's the poor people who wore out there tires, and simply can't afford new one so they mount the winter rims haha. I see it alot, it's usually associated with an overly lowered car, with terrible terrible camber, and goes thru tires ever 2-3 months.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
GSRCRXsi said:
steel rims are cheap. you get a set of steelies with some drag radials or what not, and drag with it. it has nothing to do with looks or weight.
Ahem..ok I'll play devil's advocate on this one.
As for "it has nothing to do with looks or weight".I beg to differ.
I purchased my wheels for looks AND weight reduction.
My old crx 14x6" alloys were a portly 16lbs each!
I purchased a set of 15x7 at a less heavy 13.5 lbs a piece.I know big whoop 10 lbs of weight on a 2K lb car right?
Not so fast johnny racer....10 less lbs of rotational weight makes a difference that I felt.Plus I upped my rim size for a nicer look to boot!

Most people run steelies because of cost.I don't bust on anyone that likes the hubcap look,but it doesn't work for me.

Just call me GQ I guess. :lol:

·
Registered
566 Posts
i was more referring to the guy in the second post who stated the ADDED weight would be an advantage...

you are preaching to the choir about reducing rotational weight. i know all about it. reduce mass, and you reduce the moment of inertia. not exactly rocket science. but an interesting point would be that reducing tire mass and/or diameter will have a greater effect on reducing moment of inertia then rim mass.

·
Registered
529 Posts
mattminerDOTcom said:
which wheels are you getting bart?

[email protected]
Cheap Jegs drag race wheels, unless I can talk myself into just getting a pair of 15x8 volks with drag slicks to match the 15x7.5" units I am buying for normal usage. It's hard to justify the extra cash though for something that will barely ever be used.

·
Registered
44 Posts
on my dd I have some heavy 17's, so when I go to the drag strip I will put on my 15" stock steelies in the front and they actually weigh less than the 17's. So less weight, and smaller diameter with a decent tire has netted me ~.2 sec of my 1/4 mile. I say about .2 because I don't know if any of the weather conditions or track conditions added to the increased time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.