Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
it won't work. There are different spline counts on the transmission input shaft which the clutch slides onto (89 it switched to 20, 88 was 21). The fly wheel is also larger from 90 up (212mm vs the 88/9 200mm).

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
hondaboyk20 said:
cAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THE CLUTHCH AND FLYWHEEL FROM A 90--91 CRX WITH WORK WITH AND 88 SI. And if so how well.

Thanks!1 :p
I don't want to be a nag about the grammar, but please don't use CAPS LOCK like that, and make the thread topic pertinent to the content (HELP doesn't tell us what's inside).

·
Registered
69 Posts
i have to disagree here guys i thought that was the case too but

i got the bigger 212mm flywheel from a 89 or 90 dx and act clutch for 89 ^ crx in my stock 88 si tranny and it works just fine and oddly enough the tech i talked to at ACT told me to get that flywheel and this specific clutch and that it would work and he turned out right

EDIT
sorry i forgot to mention that it was in my 88 SI but i corrected it now

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
88s have different spline counts than 89s.

88= 21 splines with a 200mm disk
89= 20 splines with a 200mm disk
90+ uses 20 splines with a 212mm disk

The splines are those on the transmission's input shaft.

One could use a later flywheel with any second gen, but the clutch won't mate up properly.

Thats how you can use a 90+ clutch in your 89 (as I'm also doing). The 88 comes up as the bastard year yet again with its odd-ball tranny, all-model pillar-mounted seatbelts, and passive rear steering.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Scott, the passive rear steering effect is present on all second gens, and a lot of other models as well. It's more prominent on the 88 though. You can see how it happens by looking at your rear suspension under compression... it will toe out on the outside of the corner.

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
The LCA plays no part in the passive steering, if you have an 88 car and an 89-91 car to compare to, you'll see the compensator arm mounting point is different on the 88. The passive steering is there on all 88-91s, but it's more pronounced on 88s because the compensator arm is mounted to give it more leverage on the trailing arm. The end effect is a greater range of toe variation through suspension travel.

·
Registered
69 Posts
sorry when i posted b4 i forgot to mention it was in my 88 SI stock tranny that i used an 89^ ACT Clutch after being assured by the tech at ACT it would work and it did and well

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Ringmaster69 said:
sorry when i posted b4 i forgot to mention it was in my 88 SI stock tranny that i used an 89^ ACT Clutch after being assured by the tech at ACT it would work and it did and well
You must not have a reall 88 tranny... how would the splines work?

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I found out the hard way that an 89 clutch kit won't work with a 90 flywheel... I ordered the kit for an 89, went to bolt it on, and no way would it work. Thats when I found out my car has a 90 engine swapped into it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
downest said:
Ringmaster69 said:
You must not have a reall 88 tranny... how would the splines work?
its a real 88 si tranny never was out of the car it was a one owner and never messed every thing under the hood was oem

and as for the clutch kit upgrader unless they give it to you free i don thtink i got one

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
either they sent the 88 disk, or you have a different tranny installed by the P.O. Thats what happened to me. When I swapped in my ZC I ordered the clutch for an 89, which my car is. The first owner of my car didn't know that even Hondas need they oil changed, and the motor blew. A 90 or 91 driveline was then swapped in. My new clutch slid on the input shaft just fine, but the pressure plate would not bolt up, it was too small.

My former roommate had an 89 with an 88 transmission. He ordered an 89 clutch kit, and it wouldn't even slide onto the transmission. None of the splines lined up.

I'm gonna have to say your transmission was replaced at one point that you are unaware of, or that ACT sent you a different disk than you ordered, and it happened to fit.

All flywheels will bolt up to the crank.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.