Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a small problem with the computer.

The latest Windows update ran and installed an update that looks for software that is counterfeit etc etc.
Windows XP that I have is not genuine, and a "star" icon stays on my lower right taskbar startup items.

Here is that link that it goes to when I click it.
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downlo ... 0eb1e62f4e

How do I get rid of it ?

also, whenever the computer restarts or shuts off and I restart it, there are pop up windows that reminds me that I am using a counterfeit or not genuine version of windows.
I did a system restore to last sunday, but its still there.
Is there a way to un-do my last windows update ?

Or should I just re-install Windows XP ?

LATER

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I stopped bothering with legal software a while ago.
I have 4 or 5 legal versions and most of them gave me the same issues as legal ones. I don't want to spend an hour on the phone with some microsoft clueless geek at 50ct a minute after I spent 3 hours trying to activate my LEGAL windows.
But I won't rant here...

You want to download a XP pro corporate version.
These do not have the activation garbage wich makes life alot more hassle free. Get the newest version that has the service packs included already.
From there on you're set. The security updates don't check your serial key, neither do the power toy installs. Everything else is crap anyway.

Thing at this moment is that you most likely will get the same issue if you just re-install windows. It keeps alot of the data for recycling, so you'll have to clean the registry or just swaap the disk clean.

....this is the reason why I have all my documents and stuff on 1 partition, all my programs on another and I'm running the cleanest windows install possible.
I re-install so often, I'd hate to re-install every single program every time.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I used symantec ghost and created an image of my workstation at home.

I don't reformat but it only takes 10-15 minutes to re-image my box.

Quick and simple, plus, you can create more images and modify them if you want.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Here's instructions on how to do a "screw you" to Mr. Bill's popups:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31281

Requires experience in Registry editing. (Non)-buyer Beware!

There are 2 parts to this spyware popup: WGAtray.exe and wgalogon.dll. Killing the WGAtray.exe process causes it to reappear in 1 second. With it present, WGAlogon cannot be deleted. And you can't delete it while it's running. Seem impossible? Nah.

First, you need to have an Explorer window open and pointing to the C:\windows\system32 folder, where the spyware resides (interestingly, doing a hard drive search for "wgatray" turns up nothing- clever spyware, this is!). And you have to have Task Manager open, right beside the Explorer window. This is tricky, and must be done fast- you kill the process in Task Manager, and before the spyware can reopen itself, you must delete WGAtray.exe in the Explorer window. You only have a split second, but it is possible. Once the spyware .exe is gone, you must reboot your computer.

Yes, now you will see the spyware's nag screen. No problem, it's the last time. When you DO finally get to the desktop, do a search "for WGAlogon.dll" You will find 2 copies, one in system32 and one in the dllcache folder. Without the WGAtray spyware to protect them (did you notice it was gone? YAY!), you can rename and then delete both these spyware .dll's. Your system may hang when you reboot it the first time, but when it is brought back up, THE SPYWARE IS ALL GONE.
Remember, all bets are off if you hose your system- Registry editing is not for Noobs.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm, here's an easier way to kill the sumbeotch!

http://blog.mypapit.net/2006/05/windows ... racks.html

If those don't work- Google it!
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=wi ... gle+Search

This is a perfect example of why I still use Windows 2000 for my desktop computers at home (have a laptop with the @#$* bloatware called WinXP). Bought a W2K SP3 CD & license 4-5 years ago for $73, and have installed the same permission code on 4 or 5 computers now (have 3 running a distributed computing proggy 24/7).

WinXP is a royal PITA to work with (have it on my employer-supplied workstation). I'm about to investigate going to Windows Server 2003 as a home workstation OS (defaults to all the CRAP turned off, as it is designed to be run on a server). W2KIII appears to be the true PROFESSIONAL successor to W2K, as it escues all the pretty skinning BS and handholding that M$ loaded into WinXP (but can be turned-on if wanted). I have a 180-day evaluation CD of W2KIII in my hot little hands, and guess what? No friggin' Product Activation required!

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
while i cant condone software piracy, seti is correct. You need a VLK version of windows XP, preferably with a good key so you can get patches. Soon they will be requireing the Genuine Advantage tool for all patches, so if you arent legit you wont be getting patches through any normal means.

I mean cmon, you can get valid windows xp licenses for cheap enough these days.....next time you purchase a piec eof hardware see about getting an XP licese with it, then you can get one for sub 30 dollars generally.

At the point you are at now, I dont know a way to stop that messae from appearing.

[email protected]

·
Registered
150 Posts
Lotsa options! If there's something the tech community loves to do, it's stick its collective tongue out at the dimbulbs whom come up with BS like Windows Genuine Advantage.

I like the ZoneAlarm solution- I already use that method to block nagware from several programs- "No, I don't want your stinkin' new/upgraded version, schmucks, I'm quite happy with the way it works now!" (Si Meter, Quicktime, Realplayer, etc.)

"Upgrade? Yo Mama! Word97 and MediaPlayer 6.4 still float my boat!"
Ditto, SETI20, it's saved my butt several times by putting everything except the OS on separate HDD's. My primary computer's HDD coughed-up a hairball recently and would not repair successfully. But my #3 computer uses the same motherboard and videocard, so I copied an image of that drive over onto a spare HDD and "Viola!" the FUBARed computer was running again with all the data (on other drives) intact. And here's a secret- run a small, fast HDD for the OS (I like the 40GB single platter, low-profile Maxtor 6E040L0) and buy large 5400 rpm drives for data storage that doesn't need to be instantly accessed (like your pr0n collection). :roll: 300GB Maxline II's (enterprise-class server-rated drives with 5-year warranties) can be had for as low as $100-125.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
while i agree that nag screens and whatnot are annoying, genuine advantage is designe dto let you know you have an illegitmate copy of windows. Youd be surpirsed the numbe rof people who didnt actively pirate windows, but have it installed. Usually theyve been duped by local computer shops and have paid the 50, 100, 150 or however many dollars they were charged. Isnt it nice now they can go back and be like wtf?

anyway, for software you use so much, how can you justify pirating it? if you dont want to pay for it there are alternatives...

[email protected]

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
I dont get what you are saying....did I say that I approve of pirating music?

why pay for windows when you can get it for free? becauses its illegal. why should I buy rims if I can come take yours for free? is stealing from you different then stealing from a company?

if you dont htink theres anything wrong with circumventing software protection and using software for no cost, thats your own deal....but its not like you are FORCED to use windows, you could just use a free or low cost alternative as opposed to illegaly running this operating system.

while music is a whole other debate, i dont agree that you should just download anything you want and pay noone. I do my best to support the artists that I like, especially bands in the local music scene and those Im a fan of. if you told me you downloaded iwndows and illegally used to see if you liked it, then realized you didnt and deleted, Id be ok with that. But if you like it, and are gettign good use out of it, Id feel inclined to pay for it.

What if people pirated crome (for ECU tuning) instead of paying $150 for it like I did, woudlnt that suck for Joh Cui? or, becuase you CAN get it for free, is that ok?

anyway, I try the best to do what I feel is right (and i try to stay within the law generally). If you dont think that windows has provided even $50 of value to you....well....id be surprised

[email protected]

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
I have to agree with Matt. Though I have definitely pirated my share of software, I believe you should pay for things you use on a regular basis. That's actually one of the reasons I stopped using windows, there was a lot of software I wanted that was expensive, and also windows kind of sucks. I decided to move to linux, and while it's a little harder to get used to, nearly everything is free, and just as good if not better than the windows alternatives.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
for the record:
IBM T40 laptop <-- works VLK XP license
Home dekstop <---- MS action pack xp license
Web and file server <----- MS action pack Server 2k3 licenses
Home/Car Laptop(IBM X31) <----- Ubuntu Linux/Windows vista beta dual boot

Im like 95 percent in compliance for software that I use....

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
d16z6rex said:
why pay for windows when you can get it for free? becauses its illegal. why should I buy rims if I can come take yours for free?
Physical theft is a bad analogy. When you copy a piece of software or music, you haven't deprived the original owner of their property. If you could run a friend's rims through some kind of non-destructive scanner/replicator device that would spit out a new set of rims, do you think your friend would mind?
In the case of music and software, you could argue that you've deprived the copyright holder of the purchase price, but that assumes that you would have gone ahead and bought the software/music if a free copy wasn't available. By that same arguement, you could say that buying a used CD is piracy... By not buying a new copy, you have deprived the copyright owner of their revenue.
The price of some software is simply set too high for typical consumer use... Take the $650 price tag on Adobe Photoshop for example. It may be fair to expect a business to spend that much on a software license, but that's only because they will financially profit from it's use. As for someone that just wants to mess around... Well, that's just stupid-expensive.

·
Registered
711 Posts
bobski said:
d16z6rex said:
why pay for windows when you can get it for free? becauses its illegal. why should I buy rims if I can come take yours for free?
Physical theft is a bad analogy. When you copy a piece of software or music, you haven't deprived the original owner of their property. If you could run a friend's rims through some kind of non-destructive scanner/replicator device that would spit out a new set of rims, do you think your friend would mind?
In the case of music and software, you could argue that you've deprived the copyright holder of the purchase price, but that assumes that you would have gone ahead and bought the software/music if a free copy wasn't available. By that same arguement, you could say that buying a used CD is piracy... By not buying a new copy, you have deprived the copyright owner of their revenue.
The price of some software is simply set too high for typical consumer use... Take the $650 price tag on Adobe Photoshop for example. It may be fair to expect a business to spend that much on a software license, but that's only because they will financially profit from it's use. As for someone that just wants to mess around... Well, that's just stupid-expensive.
Dude you're so smart! :D

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
yeah, the physical analogy is a bit tough...ill concede that.

but if software is too expensive, come up with an alternative. dont steal it. if you cant afford photoshop, use gimp or something.

if you cant afford windows (which is pretty damn cheap by comparison to other software) use something else. if windows WASNT available for free, would you pay for it?

if you dont like adobes software policy, tell them about it. MS has programs for people like you and me that cant afford exchange, or SQL, or server 2003. its called the action pack and its affordably priced for non commercial use. There are other solutions besides theft/infringement/whatver you want to call it.

[email protected]

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Either way, it's intellectual property. At RPI I've heard a lot of comparisons referring to research data. When professors and grad students do research, they almost always build on other projects, but they give proper credit.

The rim replicator idea doesn't hold up. Of course your friend isn't losing anything from it, but the company that makes the rims is. Buying used CDs is ok, because you aren't changing the number of copies of the song that are out there, the artists/recording companies haven't lost any money, they sold X CDs, and there are only X still out there, they just changed posession. If you bought a used CD and the seller made a profit, that's a different story. The fact that some software is overpriced is another issue. Yes, it probably costs too much for the average consumer, but it doesn't make it ok to steal it. I can't afford a Koenigsegg, but I wouldn't mind having one. Does that mean I should pay less, or simply just take one? Personally I think the software expense issue is moot, there are many open-source (read: free) alternatives out there. The authors of those programs ask only for donations, they do the work themselves without expecting money, and they do a damn good job. I actually feel better about donating money to an open-source project than paying for something, because I know money wasn't what motivated the creation of the product (which generally seems to mean a more robust, quality piece of software).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.