Honda CRX Forum banner
461 - 480 of 486 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #462 ·
So you were able to source a coupler for the Honda transmission
Yes in a sense but not entirely.

I did source a coupler but needed to still get it welded and machined/balanced with the splines from the Honda clutch. The thing is during my test fit, given that our older Honda's place the transmission on the passenger side, I found that the cv axle hub would not clear the motor. I would need a specially made intermediate shaft, similar to the Integra's, somehow custom mounted to the motor, and still need a custom axle to go with the intermediate shaft.

So given I got notice to smog and register, I needed to make a decision and went ahead with the leaf single speed transmission. With that, I need to instead get custom axles of which I made temporary axles by welding the leaf and CRX axles together. I was recommended to work with Mark Williams Enterprises from Colorado as they make custom axle parts that I need. Essentially I'm getting a custom length shaft splined for Leaf transmission on one end and CRX the other which I'll then pair with the hubs I already have.

I will explore the Honda transmission at a later date after I get my car registered as an EV successfully.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I love how you keep this build active for way over a decade now and also after a year or two of me not visiting the forum I jump to see what's new and there is fresh progress :)

I like the idea of your EV conversion, with EV parts getting cheaper and more easily available :) A bummer that you can't get the HOV sticker for it...

·
Registered
1989 Honda CRX HF
1,466 Posts
I love what you do to this car. It is a rolling project. Once one thing is completed, you build on that to turn it into another project.

Recently, my wife has expressed here renewed interest in converting her DX into an EV. We are here in Washington state right now. I have been looking at what EV West has going on and plan on using their setups as a template for her DX.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #465 ·
I love what you do to this car. It is a rolling project. Once one thing is completed, you build on that to turn it into another project.

Recently, my wife has expressed here renewed interest in converting her DX into an EV. We are here in Washington state right now. I have been looking at what EV West has going on and plan on using their setups as a template for her DX.
I definitely suggest looking around in DIY Electric Car Forums then.

I originally wanted to use an EV west setup but I found it was more expensive. I estimated it to be about 15k+.

I went with a Leaf setup because that motor, inverter, PDM, and Battery has been hacked to the point there are plentiful parts for replacement as well as upgrade potential.

Example, the 24kwh battery I have should provide 60-80mile range. But it's quite easy when the cars get older to take the 30kwh, 40kwh, or even 80kwh and upgrade all the way to 200-300 mile range. The batteries are practically the same physical size. Upgrading the inverter is almost just a swap with minor size difference and I'd get significant torque and power boost.

A reason. To go with EV west, is mainly because you can keep the transmission. But in reality EVs don't need a transmission.

So yeah, do some research because there is a lot of options out there.

·
Registered
1989 Honda CRX HF
1,466 Posts
Yeah, the EV conversion market is so much better than it was ten years or so ago when we first looked into this. The issue is that She needs to get at least 120 on a charge and she needs fast charging. We live on an island and Seattle is about 123 miles away if we cannot take the ferry. She has a PMC TLX as her daily but, as a traveling nurse, the CRX would be more ideal in regard to operational costs. Plus she does not want to keep putting a lot of miles on her PMC. She used to do a 200+ mile commute daily.

Thanks for the tip on the site. I will start looking over options with her. I don't think she minds the transmission delete since she has not had to shift in the TL or the TLX as her dailies.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #467 ·
Yeah, the EV conversion market is so much better than it was ten years or so ago when we first looked into this. The issue is that She needs to get at least 120 on a charge and she needs fast charging. We live on an island and Seattle is about 123 miles away if we cannot take the ferry. She has a PMC TLX as her daily but, as a traveling nurse, the CRX would be more ideal in regard to operational costs. Plus she does not want to keep putting a lot of miles on her PMC. She used to do a 200+ mile commute daily.

Thanks for the tip on the site. I will start looking over options with her. I don't think she minds the transmission delete since she has not had to shift in the TL or the TLX as her dailies.
This is the part that makes the "Leaf" so fascinating (and personally I don't like Nissan).

Because of the duration its been out, there are 4 variants of the battery pack, 24kw, 30kw, 40kw, 60kw.

24kw = 60-80 miles range
30kw = 120 miles range
40kw = 140 miles range
60kw = 226 miles range

And literally from a swap perspective, all you need is to swap the battery because the connections are interchangable.

The tricky part is actually finding a 60kw battery pack because everyone wants it. You might have better luck hunting for a 2019+ 60kw Leaf if you're looking for a wrecked one.

We actually do get fast charging in the swap since its part of the PDM (Power Distribution Module).

This build is a good reference:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #468 ·
Got the wheels spinning.

Going to need to change that unleaded fuel label.
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper

Also found a chance to buy a 40kWh leaf battery which should allow me to upgrade from my 24kWh battery. It'll push my range from 60-80 miles to 180 miles per charge.

Still need to wrap up the wiring, replace the rear suspension, reassemble the car, etc.

·
Registered
1989 Honda CRX HF
1,466 Posts
Do the 40KWh batteries occupy the same footprint?

Also, congrats on getting he wheels spinning again. I just finished going through your build on the DIYECar forvm. Very inspirational. It motivated me to work on my CRX last Saturday. Have not touched it in 4 years. Need to button up the wiring, sap EX knucles and brakes, and do an IACV conversion to make her whole again. Then she gets and S1 AWD kit.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #470 ·
Do the 40KWh batteries occupy the same footprint?

Also, congrats on getting he wheels spinning again. I just finished going through your build on the DIYECar forvm. Very inspirational. It motivated me to work on my CRX last Saturday. Have not touched it in 4 years. Need to button up the wiring, sap EX knucles and brakes, and do an IACV conversion to make her whole again. Then she gets and S1 AWD kit.
Yes, the 40kwh battery, 30, 24, are physically the same size. Nissan basically improved the battery and put more power into the same space. Only the 60kwh battery takes up a larger footprint thus getting 220 miles of range.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #472 ·
A lot of motivation, time and commitment!
Any target date for this to be wrapped and made roadworthy, with the car completely back together?
I'm currently unable to fully register it (due to lack of smog check lol) so I need to take the car to the BAR station of California's air resources board to get it inspected, and updated as an electric car.

I originally had an appointment in March but because I kept changing the project, I had to cancel the appointment indefinitely. At the rate and progress, given power, I just need to clean up and I plan to schedule another appointment in June to get it inspected.

So it'll definitely be road worthy by mid June. I'll need to stop by AAA and get a moving permit to get it to the inspection site.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #475 ·
Weighed the car for real, with wife in driver's seat to get a realistic idea of how the weight would turn out.

Gadget Measuring instrument Font Gas Cable

Numbers were pretty close to what I calculated. Not too bad for a bit of math.

Font Slope Screenshot Rectangle Number

Font Parallel Slope Technology Screenshot

I'll see how the rear suspension changes things.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #476 ·
First time out charging the CRX at a public charger. Feels almost illegal lol.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Car

Some more pictures of the complete car

Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Tire Vehicle

The electric emblem came from a Honda Clarity

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive side marker light Vehicle Car

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Speedometer Automotive design

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Steering part

Insight cluster still works. Had to source a speed sensor, put a ring with magnets on the axle intermediate shaft. That then goes into a device that converts the rounds into a speed. It allows GPS calibration so my speed is interestingly more accurate that in the past haha. I also output it an get the tach as well. One day I'll decode the canbus and display the battery level on the dash. Future mods and projects.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Steering part Automotive design

The 48 modules 24kwh battery. I have plans to upgrade these to 40kwh which is same size and weight but more power and range :)
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting

On the upgrade list are batteries, brakes (going to switch from vacuum brakes to electric brakes), and the charger (faster charger).

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #478 ·
Nice job man. I am glad to see that it is all working. From plans to final implementation, how much time would you say that you have put into this project?
I've thought about an EV conversion for years. But I really seriously started this more August 2021 when I bought the Leaf. Bought parts. Then disassembled the cars December 2021. And if I didn't scope creep and change plans, this would have been running for inspection in March. But my endless plans delayed me until now.

Running for inspection vs the perfect car are two very different milestones.

For sanity, I reverted my project to inspection ready.

After inspection, I plan to:
1. Upgrade the battery
2. Swap the Vacuum brake booster into a Electric brake booster (ibooster used by Tesla)
3. Upgrade the charger
4. Take out the axles and mail them to out to be machined (takes 2-3 months)
5. Make back up axles lol (maybe do this first)
6. Maybe pull the battery out, cut the frame and drop the battery into the fuel space, stack the rear battery, and recover trunk space.
7. Make a rear cover for the battery
8. Air or liquid cooling for battery
9. Retrofit HVAC for heating and cooling
10. Optimize some creature comforts remaining.

As you can see, it's endless lol. If I get crazy I might even upgrade the inverter for more power. Or maybe replace the tires with more EV friendly tires. Maybe redo some body work on the car. Etc.

·
Registered
1989 Honda CRX HF
1,466 Posts
Oh yeah, no project is ever finished but I am glad that your were able to reach the original goal of inspection ready.

I am thinking for purity reasons, maybe we should wait until Honda/Acura come out with a true EV, not a GHondaM EV. If I could score a crashed Honda e right now from Europe or Japan, that would be perfect to start the project right now.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #480 ·
Oh yeah, no project is ever finished but I am glad that your were able to reach the original goal of inspection ready.

I am thinking for purity reasons, maybe we should wait until Honda/Acura come out with a true EV, not a GHondaM EV. If I could score a crashed Honda e right now from Europe or Japan, that would be perfect to start the project right now.
I definitely wanted a Honda e but unfortunately its not available to us.

461 - 480 of 486 Posts