Honda CRX Forum banner
441 - 454 of 454 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I have not been on here in a while. Good work. I will start working on the angry bumble bee soon. I have been caniblizing parts from my car for my wife's CRX. Now she wants to give it to her nephew. I cannot let my car die. The bright side is I can gent new parts now!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you still have the insight pin out and how you wired the cluster ? I'm doing mine also everything lights up but. There's a few wires mixed match and can't seem to find a lot of info online about this swap

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello greetings, just wondering how did you wire up the ktuned converter? I have got my hands on the same cluster and would like to install it to on my 2005 civic dx and so far i was only able to get some dash lights to work but the SPEEDO doesn't have any numbers come on and the FUEL indicator as well nothing or TEMP would you be able to help me out with this if possible

·
Registered
20,120 Posts
I'm not a fan of the physical appearance of the Insight cluster, but that list of Frankenparts is cool!
Nice job!

windraver said:
It occurred to me this car is a Frankenstein of:
Civic EK armrest/cupholders
2nd gen crx trunk divider
Civic vx D15z1 motor
Civic 84 hatch trunk cover
Insight cluster
Some GM car's rear view mirror
Prelude seats
Integra flip lights/signals, part hood/fender
Civic Hx rims

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #446 ·
This might be unpopular but I'm planning to convert this CRX into an EV.

Ironically that actually means more instantaneous torque paired with the economy. It might be faster 🤣

If Honda actually came out with an EV I probably would've bought it but I suppose that's not an option still.

I weighed out the options of building from scratch (parts) an EV buying the motor, controller, inverter, battery, etc. I estimated that would cost me about 15k which is more than I'm willing to spend.

Alternatively, if I bought an older working EV, and gutted it for parts, I could do so for about 5-8k. And it'd come with almost everything. I have a welder to I can fab the mounts. I'd probably still have to figure out axles unless I find an adapter plate to mate the motor and transmission. Keeping the transmission would mean I retain my 5 speed which is tempting. Making balanced axles would certainly be harder so I'm weighing those options.

I've been planning this project for over a year and initially picked up a Fiat 500e as the donor car. What I quickly learned was Fiat locked up the car behind a canbus network that made it difficult to do anything. In short, putting in a custom radio tripped the ecu and almost crippled the car. Imagine if I took out the airbags and ABS. Research also was difficult as there was a gas version and this car wasn't popular so no one cared to hack the canbus.

So when some family wanted to buy the Fiat from me I gave it to them. In the midst of the research I learned the Nissan Leaf has significant support for conversions. Resolve-ev had hacked the Nissan Leaf Canbus controller and was selling essentially a plug and play box.

And today I found a Leaf for 5k. Even the batteries for the leaf would cost more. The leaf motor assembly alone was being sold online for 4500.

Later I will go check the leaf and if all goes well, I'll have another donor car for parts :)

If all goes well, maybe I'll get AC back in the car too 🤣

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #447 ·
So I picked up the 2013 Leaf donor.

The interior of the leaf is gross.

Also I've ordered the Resolve EV controller and will borrowing a cherry picker in 2-3 weeks.

·
Super Moderator
3,688 Posts
Will be interesting to see how his pans out. I've gone through a couple phases where I thought it would be cool to convert my CRX to EV. Watched a bunch of videos. From what I could tell....aside from the massive amount of work, fabrication, etc....it was about $30k worth of parts? Are you seeing the same kind of numbers in your research?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #453 ·
Will be interesting to see how his pans out. I've gone through a couple phases where I thought it would be cool to convert my CRX to EV. Watched a bunch of videos. From what I could tell....aside from the massive amount of work, fabrication, etc....it was about $30k worth of parts? Are you seeing the same kind of numbers in your research?
Current cost breakdown:

5k for the Leaf (battery, motor, controller, inverter, transmission, accelerator pedal, etc)
1k for Resolve EV computer
??? Metal to mount and bracket everything
??? Additional cables to wiring everything

Option A (use Civic D Series Transmission /no flywheel/clutch)
??? For adapter plate between Leaf Motor and current 5 speed D Series transmission
??? For coupler between motor shaft and Transmission shaft

Option B ( civic transmission, with clutch/flywheel)
??? For adapter plate between Leaf Motor and current 5 speed D Series transmission
??? Flywheel bearing and adapter (no idea how)

Option C (use single speed leaf transmission)
??? Custom axles

Link
Evwest sells conversion plates
Yes but the conversion plates are only compatible with the warp motors. I didn't see any options for the leaf. Nothing otherwise wrong with the leaf except I don't like how it looks.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #454 · (Edited)
Based on my current research, it would be hardest to retain the current civic transmission. It would be easier to use the Nissan Leaf single speed transmission and get and axle custom cut with the right splines to use in the CRX.

Either scenario would require a machine shop so I'll need to find one in the California San Francisco area who can do the work and go from there.

Edit:
Oddly, I started watching a guy on youtube who is swapping the Nissan leaf motor into his porsche. (Channel name Performance EV)

He went the axle route but said it would be "easier" to get an adapter for the existing transmission.

More research required...

441 - 454 of 454 Posts