Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I flip-flopped on going Y8 mini-me/turbo swap or the B16...and only after I started ripping it out is when I decided for sure on the B16A2. It'll be a cleaner swap, and will resemble what it should have been from the factory. I figure if we're taking this car's virginity, better do it right. ;)

Don't worry, it's cleaned up better then that now.

The aftermath on the front mount...

Bart doing what he does best...

...punishing the Y-49.

What's going in?

B16A2 from a 99 Civic Si

Looks pretty clean, huh?

Check this out...

Realized this was broken a bit late in the swap. :oops: Definitely need the rear motor mount. Tried contacting the guy I got the motor from,...doubt that'll go anywhere though.

I called a few machine shops around town to see if anyone could weld cast aluminum. I spoke with one place that builds engines and talked to the guy that does the welding for about 20 minutes describing it and they said they could do it. Took it in last Wednesday and, three guys come out to look at it,... "No. No. and No." They did recommend some welding shops. Couldn't do that over the phone I suppose... :rolleyes1:

Anyway, I'm taking it in Monday to a welding shop that should be able to do it. Depending on if they can or how much it costs, I may just have to go Frankenstein with this and find a B20 block. We'll see....

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Krix said:
man how did they break off that much?
I have no idea...it was like that. Wish I would have noticed it before I bought it. :x What a pain in the ass.

Doesn't sound like it will be too tough to make it work though...
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1860643
Just need to find the right place to do it.

downest said:
Bart was inside the bay of a Y49?!
Thought you guys would appreciate that. Had to get a couple pics...whether he was bashing my bay in or not. :lol:

jfrolang said:
We all love K20s, but I still say B-power for-the-less-expensive win!
It'll work for me. Not like I could afford to go K anyway.

My plan is to supercharge a year or less from now, so it should be a fun ride.

·
Registered
529 Posts
downest said:
The scarier thing is I'm putting his tranny in the beater. Not to mention I drove home in the beater with a y-49 motor, tranny, ecu, and shift linkage all from the y car. I stopped half way and offloaded the motor and ECU to george34, and I made it home too... I did end up sick all week afterwards though. I think I'll blame that on Y exposure.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
jfrolang said:
Its me DUB said:
Heh, my plan is turbo in spring 08. I guess we'll see which boosted B16 works out better at N14. :lol:
naah Your going to have to run me against my dart build. :twisted: muhaha

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
ollie said:
jfrolang said:
Its me DUB said:
Heh, my plan is turbo in spring 08. I guess we'll see which boosted B16 works out better at N14. :lol:
naah Your going to have to run me against my dart build. :twisted: muhaha
1.8 turbo Dart? No fair! :p

·
Registered
566 Posts
that can be fixed. i had a half shaft bolt ripped out of a block i bought (the engine now in my crx)

i dont have any pics of what it looked like before hand but here is what it looks like now

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
CRXBart said:
downest said:
The scarier thing is I'm putting his tranny in the beater. Not to mention I drove home in the beater with a y-49 motor, tranny, ecu, and shift linkage all from the y car. I stopped half way and offloaded the motor and ECU to george34, and I made it home too... I did end up sick all week afterwards though. I think I'll blame that on Y exposure.
Lord, please kill all the Y-49 gremlins before they enter the intakes of the crxs that are in the same garage. HAHA Will the curse transfer from a crx to a civic?

·
Registered
529 Posts
george34 said:
CRXBart said:
downest said:
Lord, please kill all the Y-49 gremlins before they enter the intakes of the crxs that are in the same garage. HAHA Will the curse transfer from a crx to a civic?
They never share the same garage anyway. LOL

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Its me DUB said:
Well I flip-flopped on going Y8 mini-me/turbo swap or the B16...and only after I started ripping it out is when I decided for sure on the B16A2. It'll be a cleaner swap, and will resemble what it should have been from the factory. I figure if we're taking this car's virginity, better do it right. ;)
All the cool kids are running Y8s :p

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
downest said:
All the cool kids are running Y8s :p
I was almost cool once. ;)

Probably would have been smarter for me now with the whole block issue. But I really couldn't have sold the B16 to someone with that problem anyway. :?

Just support me in my decision to go this route, because the front mount is gone, the bay has been dented, and the block is going to the welding shop tomorrow.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Wow sorry to see your block. I would offer you mine for cheap (complete block minus pistons) but you know that my block needs work too. Machine shop down here said they would do it too if the block had enough material, even supply me with the right grade 8 studs to use. But I didn't wanna go that route now, I'm looking at GSR blocks.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.