Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well when i bought my 97 civic ex auto for cheap i always wondered why i got it for a cheap price 1 year and some months later i find out. It started out kinda slow, every once and a while it would slip and i would just blow it off, but 2 weeks ago it was like once or twice it would slip then i told my dad that i needed to get it fix and he said next week we can look at it. And within this last week every trip it slips. Now it almost always slips certain gears like 2 3. well on last sunday i checked my fluid and i was right at the part that indicates you will need more fluid so i said ok great i get some this weekend when i actually have time to do stuff. But now come thursday i can barely even drive without feeling like my whole transmission will fall out. So i coasted into a transmission shop (mr. transmission) and he said well look at it for free and decide wuts wrong with it, but i already know that the clutch bands are all worn out. So he said if thats the case its going to cost 1500-2000 dollars. SO no im in a dillema should i pay that or just get new transmission.
I was even think about getting a b16 with transmission or wut do u think i should do im really tight on money because i dont no, or havent ask who is covering for this. SO any ideas?. If i have to pay for it, all i can say is bye bye crx and dreams i have pursed and i wont be on any more.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i need a automatic d16y8 transmission if i dont get hooked up soon im gonna have to flush my dream down the drain and sell my crx. And im serious ill like die if i sell it for real its like so many hours invested ill just start punching holes into the wall.

·
Administrator
16,557 Posts
I'm a bit confused. You started off saying you bought a 97 Civic Ex, and then proceeded to discuss the slipping trans. At the end though, you're saying bye bye CRX. Which car has the problem?

Last year my car started slipping once in a while going into 4th. Topping off the ATF made it smooth like a Lexus. True story. It's pretty cheap too, only a couple dollars per quart. You only need 3 quarts to drain and refill. I think the actual figure is 2.7 or something like that. (Doing a full flush will use more than 3 quarts, and you can't do it yourself.) Make sure you buy Honda brand ATF too, I wouldn't trust anything else. For $10 or so, changing the fluid is a good first step.

If you have to rebuild, don't. Buying a used or even a remanufactured tranny will be less expensive. There shouldn't be too much of a problem finding one either, a lot of Civics were sold as autos, and they generally live easier lives.

I know people that have rebuilt manual transmissions themselves, but the complexity and number of parts in an auto tranny is much higher. I would say you should only do it yourself if you feel absolutely confident that you know every step and detail.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My wife's '91 DX is an automatic, and it cost me about $1400-1500 to have the tranny rebuilt at around 150K (northern Delaware). $2K seems a bit pricy to me.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Change the fluid and filter first. If that does not help, convert it to a manual! It will probably be cheaper, will make your car more fun and faster, and you'll get better gas mileage.
(I don't really know anything about converting auto to manual, so maybe you should not listen to me. But from reading some posts on H-T, it seems like it is not too difficult).
Good luck.

·
Registered
293 Posts
automatic tranys for 96-2000 civics are easy to come by and are not that expensive. normally start calling local junk yards. ive bought then from junk yard for 2-400 bucks

you can try to change the fluid first but chances are if the clutches are slipping then theres no bringing it back.

if you put a new used tranny in there save the shift solenoids from your current tranny. they are a common failure item

always use honda tranny fluid anything else will burn out the clutches.

scarponze

i just checked car-part.com and in virginia there are over 100 trannys available at junk yards probably 30 or so under 500 bucks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.