Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had it. It is over 100F here in Texas and will hover at or above that for most of the next two to three months. My cooling system is fine, but the gauge shows things heating up above normal when I am in stop and go traffic. This is primarily due to unshrouded aftermarket SPAL fans, a thick dual core radiator, and SS Kamikazi header. If I had to do it over again, I would skip the dual core and get more powerful shrouded fans. (I had to go slimmer due to the reduced space caused by the dual core. What good is a dual core if your airflow is reduced? :x )

So even though header wrap is not the greatest thing to put on one's header, I think it would be a simple and relatively inexpensive fix (compared to coating) for reducing underhood temps.

Anyone recommend a good wrap or what to avoid?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Masta said:
grouch said:
Didn't I tell you this was a good idea when we installed that header...2+ years ago?

Just keep the wrap off of weld joints and its fine for longevity.
Why do you need to keep it off the joints?
So he can smoke them.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
grouch said:
Didn't I tell you this was a good idea when we installed that header...2+ years ago?
Yes you did. But that header was so purty then. :)

It still looks good and wrapping looks so crappy. I hava decided to just avoid getting stuck in stop and go traffic. Coating them inside and out is only $165 plus shipping to Oklahoma. And it will look purty again.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
crazi-85crx said:
Any wrap made for wrapping exhaust will work, I use DEI personally.

-Soak it in water,
-Wrap on tightly,
-Clamp with metal zip ties,
-Let dry,
-Spray with high-heat silicone spray,
-add salt to taste, :wink:
-and you're done.
Why the silicone spray? Looks? Water protection?

·
Registered
181 Posts
"Apply Design Engineering's silicone coating directly to exhaust manifold, pipe, and muffler surfaces to protect them against acid rain, snow, salt, solvents, and weather extremes. It withstands temperatures of up to 1,500 degrees F, and even helps prevent pipe wrap from deteriorating."

...so says the Summit.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I wrapped some stainless headers back in '98. I sold the header to a friend. He later sold his car to another friend. I talked with that guy a few months back about the header...still looks and works great. I wouldn't worry about the longevity on a stainless apllication. It might eff up a ceramic coating tho.

You don't wrap the joints because thats where the welds are. My understanding is that the wire typically used in welding isn't the same as the stainless used in the pipes...if there was going to be a weak link, this would be it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
grouch said:
I wrapped some stainless headers back in '98. I sold the header to a friend. He later sold his car to another friend. I talked with that guy a few months back about the header...still looks and works great. I wouldn't worry about the longevity on a stainless apllication. It might eff up a ceramic coating tho.

You don't wrap the joints because thats where the welds are. My understanding is that the wire typically used in welding isn't the same as the stainless used in the pipes...if there was going to be a weak link, this would be it.
cool alrighty then

·
Registered
261 Posts
I was so concerned about the wrap causing my headder to deteriorate that I called DEI and asked the tech support guy. He actually seem agitated during his reply. He told me that it was something of an "old wives tale" kinda like the 3000 mpg carburetor. Provided that I followed the instructions properly, there would be absolutely no issue with damage. I was told to use the narrow wrap and not to overlap it too much, there is a guideline stitched into the wrap for you to follow. If it is wrapped too thick it will create a hot spot that can weaken the headder in extreme circumstances.

That was four years ago and the headder is still fine. It did make the under hood temps drop by like 30 degrees.

Oh and the stainless straps are really a pain, but when done correctly work great.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
for stainless headers, wrap should be no problem.

i've heard on uncoated mild steel headers it can advance corrosion though.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have not heard how decent the ceramic is on the DC Sports is. Right now it is too hot to wrap mine. Plus, I am worried I will eff it up. If I get the header off in the fall when I have more money, I am tempted to just go ahead and get it coated.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.