Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have a y8 head from a 98 ex that I am planning on using for a mini-me. I am slowly getting acquiring parts and information on this swap. I want to convert to obd1. I understadn that the z6 distributors do not bolt directly to the y8 head. I have heard that the 92-95 Dx distributor will work on a y8 head and will be a plug in for obd1. I have also heard that a distributor from a obd2 y8 car can be rewired to work with an obd1 ecu. Based on these assumptions, I see the following as my options:

TD41U 92-95 Civic Dx
TD80U 96-97 DelSol Si
TD98U 96-98 Civic Ex
TD73U 99-00 Civic Ex

Can anyone comment if they know for sure that one of these options will or will not work? Thanks, this will help me (and presumably others) out a lot.

-Jason

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Im in the same situation as you, but I actually have a y8 dist but I just need a plug that im waiting on to complete the conversion. LMK if you get any snags.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
It is. The OBD-0 distributors put out a different pattern of pulses than the OBD-1 and 2 distributors.
Yes, you can use OBD-2 ('96+) distributors with an OBD-1 ECU. The difference is the distributor's electrical connector. Since you're already converting stuff, just get the proper engine harness connector for whatever distributor you find and don't worry about converting the dizzy.
You can add the '93-95 DelSol S and '92-95 Civic LX to that list of compatable cars - They use the same D15B7 engine as the '92-95 Civic DX.
The '96-97 DelSol Si and '96-98 Civic Ex should both have D16Y8s in them, so there shouldn't be any issues there.
I'm not too sure about the '99-00 Civic EX. It still uses a D16Y8, but they added a sensor to the crankshaft at some point... It may have replaced one of the distributor sensors. Just check that there's the right number of wires in the distributor connector... 9 I think? 6 for sensors, 1 for power, 1 for ignition signal and 1 for tach.
I think the other '96-98 Civic engines should be compatable as well, but the D16Y7 is the only one I'm fairly certain about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.