Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....just maybe?

I've noticed this before.
Now I'm no A-student by any means. But when I was traveling the US I found it shocking how poor general geography and history knowledge is.

I've talked to people all over the US, and aparently Holland, for example, is somewhere in between Russia, Australia, New York, South Africa...and so on.

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
It's partially true, I believe Americans think "Why should I care about the rest of the world?" You have to agree that this video selected the least educated individuals, but even I find it disheartening that people don't know what they should. I guess that's why they call them sheep.

·
Registered
952 Posts
"He's from Texas, he must be right" What a saying. Some people should not leave there house.

·
Registered
952 Posts
coz said:
Seti,

I couldn't agree with you more. Most can't even point out Iraq on a map! Most 20 and 30 somethings only know what is fed to them by the media. When I think about this country's future I feel like I'm on a sinking ship.
They found Iraq and North Koran easy. Granted that it was kind of where Australia should be and kind of looked like Australia, but they found it easy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
crxgator said:
"dont mess with texas; it's not nice picking on retards."

:wink: :lol:
lol,

But anyway... I dont know where is holland either...wait... do they call it the same in french ? :shock:

Edit: did some research: They call it hollande in french ^^ and its where I tought it would be.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Where in the world did they get these "participants"?
I had a quick(correct) answer for most of these questions.I'm not saying that I'm some genius,but jeeze people comeon.

Must be that wonderful kalifornia edjimucation... :rolleyes1: :lol:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Wow...just wow. I had all the questons right and I would never beleive a random person on the street would just shake my hand and say he is a prime minister, and me beleiving him. Come on america, maybe I was just raised with some roots and knowledge, but, it seems to me that come on sense is a lost art in the US, but not much can be said about our general public either. If I asked most poepl what all the provinces were called (11 in total, plus 3 territories which do not count), they probaby could not.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In fact, this test isn't really fair either.
As far as I know, "you" guys in the US are taught using the Mercator projection map.
This map is used for navigation, and it slightly distorted to correct the curvature of the earth. This way, a straight line on the map shows the virtual line of travel.

However, here in Europe, we're also taught using the Peters projection map.
This is a true 1:1 scale map, where 1 square kilometer is, well...actually square. Where the mercator map they would be rectangular, and skewed.

Wanna see the difference? This might shock you.

MERCATOR MAP

PETERS MAP

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.