Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Downest has been a bit upset lately about "Yo, how much PSI can I run"" questions and I thought I would do some research and found a pretty good article here. It's not the easiest to understand, but at least it puts it all out there for you to digest slowly including supercharger maps. I guess we should be talking "Yo, how much CFM can I run" instead.

It would be really cool if someone could use some common examples of turbo's for the crx and go over the maps to explain it. I don't understand it well enough.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/turbotech.html

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
If you read the ubiquitous turbo books and study things till your eyes are blurry you will still choose the wrong turbo.
Ehhh... The cover of my Maximum Boost book looks like its been treated like your favorite Playboy.

:edit:
Wow..., just got further down the article, some NICE info. Thanks!

·
Registered
778 Posts
It is all about volumetric efficiency. That is why when you port/polish and uncork the intake and exhaust on a turbo motor you pick up quite a bit of power... assuming your A/F ratios stay where they need to be.

·
Registered
849 Posts
That's neat, but how do you actually use it?

This is what I know.
I have a 1.6 liter engine
I can rev it up to 6500 Rpm
I want to make 220 crank horsepower.

I don't see any of those parameters on a turbo MAP.
How do you correlate the engine you have to the info on those graphs to pick your turbo?

·
Registered
778 Posts
There are many more parameters to figure when deciding on the perfect turbo for your needs. You need to figure out how much mass air flow your engine needs at 6500rpm to make 220 crank ponies. Then you need to figure out which turbo can supply that air flow. But there is more to it than that. You can get a turbo that can supply that air flow but it may not be able to spool up enough when the motor is at 6500rpms.

There are some basic assumptions you can make and then some basic calculations you can do to have a rough idea of what kind of turbo would work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.