Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
downest said:
I remember reading or PMing with someone on the Resource a while back about using a Z6 or Y8 IM
I believe that was me.

The information given you here in this thread (after the corrections) is correct. Remember to get the IM that has the map sensor still intact. (on TB)

·
Registered
731 Posts
[theory]A stock Honda ecu can send enough additional fuel to produce 10-15% more power than is originally programmed into it. This is why bolt-ons like intake header exhaust can make an otherwise stock d16a6 spin the rollers to the tune of 120 flywheel hp. In completely stock configuration, 108 hp is recognized through pushing the limits of that configuration. When IHE is added, various sensors tell the ecu that more air is entering and exiting the combustion chambers. The ecu in turn sends a proportionate amount of fuel to meet this air. Added horsepower is the end result.

Additional HP was created because the intake and exhaust plumbing was opened up allowing for better flow. Applying this idea to the intake manifold, increasing its size and interior smoothness or contour will yet further open up more room for better flow. There is however a limit to how open is too open before it starts having adverse affects on Hp and torque production at certain RPMs. This limit can only be determined by engineers with fancy degrees. For our purposes, imagine the IM in this manner: inhaling air through a straw versus inhaling mouth wide open. Yes, you can fill your lungs much faster with your mouth wide open but the air entering doesn't have nearly the same velocity compared to the straw. This velocity is what can affect HP and TQ production inside an engine. In essense, if the intake plumbing is too open, you will likely lose low rpm TQ in exchange for high rpm HP.

Remember that many smart men sat down and designed our cars from the ground up. They chose a certain size intake and exhaust to achieve the best compromise of power/driveability and efficiency. When we go in and start rearranging various parts of this design we change that compromise. In closing, I think you'll make more high end power at the expense of low end torque and thus driveability. At the same time, I don't think it'd be so drastic to the point as say a skunk 2 camshaft which would only be useful for high rpm drag purposes. I personally would clean up the inside contour and port match a bigger TB to possibly push the limits of the stock ecu a bit more yet.[/theory]

·
Registered
731 Posts
Tom, I think you wont lose too much if anything in the way of fuel mileage. That is of course if the car is driven normally (2.5 - 3.5k shifts) In this rev range, you foot isn't asking too much out of the engine so there shouldn't be a huge change in fuel consumption there. If however, you're sprinting all over town, you can be sure that that newly reconfigured induction system will suck alot more fuel over stock sprinting. Again, this is all theory but I'm pretty sure the likes of say Mr. Composimo will at least somewhat agree with me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.