Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on the look out for an engine for my 89 rex. i'm on a budget so all i can afford are the ZC engines. the thing is i dont know which of the two would be best. any comments would be appritiated. thanx

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Vtech also dabbles in kids toys.

The good DOHC ZCs, for the most part are probably bought up, or sitting in some forgotten yard in Japan. If you get a DOHC ZC, plan on rebuilding it. Although, I would recommend that with any engine you buy used, and haven't seen run.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I used to have a DOHC ZC in my old CRX, and I now have a SOHC VTEC ZC. Power output is similar, I like having VTEC now...if I had to choose I would probably stick with the VTEC. One cam instead of 2 to replace is a lot cheaper...I guess it all depends on what you want to do with it (turbo, etc.)...the SOHC VTEC ZCs seem more rare than the DOHC non-VTEC engines, but parts are easy since it's almost exactly like the D16Z6.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i apreciate the feed back, after reading the feed back you guys gave i think i'll go for the single cam ZC. one more thing i forgot to mention earlier, would it pass smog in Cali?

·
Registered
734 Posts
baker423 said:
ryan_long_01 said:
I used to have a DOHC ZC in my old CRX, and I now have a SOHC VTEC ZC. Power output is similar, I like having VTEC now...if I had to choose I would probably stick with the VTEC. .
If power output is similar, i have to ask why do you like having vtec?
Power output (and by that, I mean just a single HP number) obviously isn't all there is to describing an engine's performance, or the way it feels subjectively. I like the way that the top end performance feels after VTEC comes on, I like revving the engine to redline and feeling those last few thousand RPMs on the VTEC camshaft totally change how the car feels. The car is alot more fun to drive at high RPMs as compared to the DOHC ZC. I guess I just like the feel of where and how the power comes on...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.