Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my hybrid in tonight... but I didn't get any oil/MTF so the CRX is spending the night in the shop with the RX7.

I got to fix a few other things while I was doing it too, and noticed a few problems. I wire wheeled and cleared all the passenger side parts I took out, and chased all the threads with a tap. Should be easier to take it all off next time. I also replaced a couple of odd bolts, the previous owner put the wrong thing into one of the radius rod bolts on the LCA, I got a couple new ones from Matt a while back, so that got fixed. I also used up the rest of my ES lube on the bushings to kill some squeaks hopefully. The DA axle on the passenger side went in like butter too.

I discovered I'm missing a bolt on each side for the front crossmember, going to need to find those ASAP (junkyard tomorrow). One of the ones in there was loose too, maybe could be responsible for some of the shudder under braking. I also got a chance to screw around with the linkage, the shifter slop is definitely due to the U-joint thing, as I replaced the bitch pin a while back. It helped a little, now I wish I could afford John's shift linkage.

So of course there was a catch, aside from forgetting tranny oil. It was all too easy, once I unbolted the tranny it was a five minute job getting the new one on. All the bolts went in, no stripping the aluminium or anything. The problem was the midshaft from the teg. Although I was told the auto one would work (the one I have!) it did not. It does fit into the tranny, but sits too low to bolt to the block.
I got new 90-93 axles from Autozone to use with it. I did some work on my friend's 90 teg a while ago, and I bought the axles, so I had the lifetime warranty on them. Returned a couple of CRX passenger side axles and got some new integra ones... free! The passenger side went in fine like it should (yes I removed the dust ring). Since the midshaft wasn't working, I ended up using my drivers' side CRX axle with the inner joint from the 89 teg, which went in no problem. I am still going to get a IM shaft from an A1 or a ZC, I want to have the equal length shafts to get rid of the torque steer.

So it's all bolted up and sitting there. It shifts through the gears ok too, a little notchy, but the tranny is bone dry, a lot of it was washed in the parts cleaner. It's nice to have a shiny silver tranny in the bay too... I want to paint the block next!

I'll update tomorrow when I get the oil in it...

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Where are the pics of this shiny trans? :D

And what gears did you go with?

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Angry said:
Where are the pics of this shiny trans? :D

And what gears did you go with?
I have to borrow my girl's camera. I'm using ZC 1-4 and Si 5th and final. I wanted to steal the HF 5th from stefano but he wouldn't let me tear into the HF tranny unfortunately. I figured the Si is better than the ZC anyway...

Baker, sorry I just logged on last night to post up, I was pretty beat, expect PM in the next 5 mins.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got it filled up... more problems.

First off, the hybrid axle does not work. It keeps coming out about an inch and not driving the wheels. I am running the car on the lift. First through third stall when I let out the clutch, even in the air. 4th pops back out. 5th seems to work, the diff is moving because I can see the speedo move, but since the axle pops out the wheels don't move. The first gear I put it into each time seems to work fine, but once I change gears the shaft pops out. I guess I need to get the IM shaft, but I'll be waiting on that a couple of days. Should I pull apart the tranny, or does this sound like it could be caused by the axle coming out partially on one side?

·
Registered
58 Posts
i'd say either the 8mm hex bolt in the clutch housing of the tranny is'nt lined up correctly with the slot in the linkages in the tranny or you did'nt line up all your linkages with the shift forks properly in the tranny. if your axles keep popping out that should'nt affect anything other than your ability to move the car, popping out of gear and notchy shifting sounds like a problem with your linkages and shift forks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.