Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to do a twin -cam ZC swap in my 88 crx si. But I am not really sure what all is needed for the swap I am going to stick with my tranny and ecu for now. And I was wondering I there was anything that I needed for the swap beside WIRING, ZC DOWNPIPE, AND INTEGRA UPPER RADIATOR HOSE.

·
Registered
108 Posts

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
actually, its an accord upper hose.. 84 or 89 ish iirc. Timing belt is an 88 Prelude. The only other thing you should need, especially if you have an Si, would be the plugs for the cam sensor and distributor. They can be found on a D16A1/A3 Integra. You can also use your stock exhaust, but for the cost of that down pipe, you could get one of the mediocre quality headers from ebay.

edit---

Hmm,... browsing around I see they now say the teg one... back when I put mine in, I used an accord hose, and had to cut an inch off

·
Registered
108 Posts
baker 423 has it exactly right.
Low compression, high torque, very mod-able, inexpensive, simple to do, especially to an Si.
bhp/whp isn't everything.................
and we're not all expert gearheads!

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
andystart said:
baker 423 has it exactly right.
Low compression, high torque, very mod-able, inexpensive, simple to do, especially to an Si.
bhp/whp isn't everything.................
and we're not all expert gearheads!
Not exactly torque monsters... :lol:
Overall the Zc is a good swap for someone that wants a bump in performance over their stock Crx motor & that will not break the bank. It is essentially a drop in and go swap, prob the simplest swap avail.

·
Registered
551 Posts
i agree with everybody, the zc are real easy to swap in. it dose not take alot of work at all to tell you the truth. just like every body else said (^there) but correct me if im wrong, me and my room mate was looking up on computer about the zc's and it said somthing about the zc has 140-140 horse power, and around 130 ft lbs not sure if thats correct but someone correct me? if i am worng please

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
The HP numbers range from 130-140, depending on the source. I think this is because there were different variants of the engine. Europe didn't get a ZC, they got the D16A8 and D16A9. It had a different valve cover and different computer program. The difference between the A8 and A9 was if the engine was equipped with a cat.

The torque is around 110ft/lbs.

·
Registered
551 Posts
ok cool. because i have the jdm zc black top. and not sure what i could do to get more power with out doing major work to it. right now i have aerospeed muffler, cai, little bit of advanced timing. and that it to the motor becides plugs and wires. do you know of any thing else i could do to get more out of it???????

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
HKS used to make cams for it, but that was a long time ago. I thought I saw someone was making ZC cams, but mine blew up a long time ago (nearly cracked the block in half, the long way... parallel to the deck:shock: ), so I've kinda stopped paying attention to the motor.

Aside from that, boost sounds like your best friend

·
Registered
551 Posts
cool cool, thanks man uhh i hurd that somewhere in colorado there is a zc performance shop there, my friend daniel poe works there, but he has a built lsvtech g2 teg, so i might be able to talk to him about that to see if it true or not, just so he could screw around with my car a lil bit. but do you know what i could boost to and be safe for a daily driver. adn would you know what and how much a act 2 flywheel will add??

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
the flywheel wont add any power, it will just allow the engine to rev faster and get into the power band faster.

The amount of boost thats safe... well, its hard to say. It depends on the condition of the engine, and the tune, mainly. Usually safe is around 6-8psi on stock internals, but some have pulled 10-12.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My black-top (DOHC) ZC does 138 bhp on the dyno with cold air intake, DC headers, flow-thru cat and a Tanabe 2.25" exhaust system.

Boost is about the only thing that'll give significantly more hp. My dream (i.e. no plan yet) would be about 6psi of turbo boost which would get it to about 30 hp more than a standard b16 (190 vs 160).

My current set up cost me about $1,700 plus testing (compression and dyno). A turbo set-up would be around $2,500, I think. I've read that the ZC's stock internals should handle 6psi without a problem.

·
Registered
779 Posts
andystart said:
My black-top (DOHC) ZC does 138 bhp on the dyno with cold air intake, DC headers, flow-thru cat and a Tanabe 2.25" exhaust system.

Boost is about the only thing that'll give significantly more hp. My dream (i.e. no plan yet) would be about 6psi of turbo boost which would get it to about 30 hp more than a standard b16 (190 vs 160).

My current set up cost me about $1,700 plus testing (compression and dyno). A turbo set-up would be around $2,500, I think. I've read that the ZC's stock internals should handle 6psi without a problem.
I've seen them run 10psi with little to no issue. The engine was prone to going thru rod bearing tho. I guess it was a little too much pressure on them without any work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.