(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Side wind deflectors and rear window spoiler?

Detailing, rust repair, body work, paint, body kits, interior upgrades and rebuilding.

Moderator: Moderators

Side wind deflectors and rear window spoiler?

Postby Archie » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:27 am

Were there different options to these wind deflectors I´m thinking of getting? They say these are transparent black, I´m not sure about the maker.
I´ve seen some in lighter transparent shades. :?:

Also, anyone have one of these, and does it fit with otherwise stock look? I´m considering maybe fitting one at some point, not to go too modified but I like this mad max roof spoiler :biggrin:
https://www.akr-performance.com/p/aerod ... WV-CRX88-R
Archie

Re: Side wind deflectors and rear window spoiler?

Postby Baker » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:35 am

Archie wrote:Were there different options to these wind deflectors I´m thinking of getting? They say these are transparent black, I´m not sure about the maker.
I´ve seen some in lighter transparent shades. :?:

There are a few options, but it will depend on the manufacturer.

Archie wrote:Also, anyone have one of these, and does it fit with otherwise stock look?

What are you asking?
Most of them mount with 3M tape.

https://www.crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61134

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gts- ... /model/crx
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby signalpuke » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:35 pm

What Baker said, most of the aftermarket ones just attach with double sided tape. Most look like they are for the door mount seat belt windows.
Went back and checked, there were three different versions of the OEM side window deflectors. Pillar mount seat belt w/power folding mirrors, pillar mount seat belt manual mirror, and door mount seat belt (USDM 89-91).
They are all very rare. There was a very limited reproduction run of the JDM OEM pillar mount seat belt deflectors made with clips and all other hardware years ago but they were mostly sold in Japan and ASEAN countries. I got the last set from that run from a guy in Singapore. You can try checking YAJ if you have a pillar mount seat belt. Just be aware there are two kinds, and if you happen to find a pair, it will likely be missing hardware and/or be chipped.

As for louvers, there was a company in the USA that used to make them out of aluminium, but they no longer do. I'll probably get a custom set done by a machine shop.
signalpuke

Postby Baker » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:14 am

signalpuke wrote: As for louvers, there was a company in the USA that used to make them out of aluminium, but they no longer do. I'll probably get a custom set done by a machine shop.

I think the OP was looking for the "Solarwing", not louvers.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby Archie » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:29 pm

Thanks, I was just wondering if I should put a rear window spoiler on or just leave it as stock? (probably couldn´t get the rear squirter working with the wing)

I saw some oem deflectors for sale that were very expensive, I might check the black ones out, they happen to be a walking distance away lol
Archie

Postby signalpuke » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:58 am

Archie wrote:Thanks, I was just wondering if I should put a rear window spoiler on or just leave it as stock?

I think they're probably more for looks than aero. The Mugen spoiler has the aero affect of making the car longer, so that the vacuum behind the car is further away. Not sure what benefit it would be creating a vacuum right over the hatch. I'd be worried about it flying off at speed after a while. I lost an OEM door deflector on the highway, that's why I needed the replacements, and that's with OEM hardware, not double sided tape.
signalpuke

Postby Baker » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:28 am

Archie wrote:I saw some oem deflectors for sale that were very expensive, I might check the black ones out, they happen to be a walking distance away lol

OEM ones will be the most common as aftermarket versions are few and far between, though there are a few smaller,grassroots types out there.
Biggest thing will be to make sure you get ones that fit your car.
Fitment will differ between whether the deflectors are made for cars with door mounted seat belts or pillar mount belts. It varies because the window shape/length differs.
Baker
Mr. Search

Return to Restoration, Cosmetics, and Detailing