(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Is the Crx a classic?

Anything goes, as long as it follows the Community Rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Is or will the Crx be considered a classic?

Yes, if not now, someday.
88%
Not a chance!
12%

Total votes : 112

Postby Juans_Mx3 » Thu May 03, 2007 11:31 pm

Alot of cars are classics. Yes I think a CRX is going to be a classic.
Why not?
Look at the popularity of it. Look how small and light it is. All the aftermarket and swaps avaible for it.

In 40 years people will love it.
93 Mazda MX3 (KLZE/5speed swap, fidanza, 2.25 full exhaust, HEI)
88 Honda CRX HF (future gas saver D15)
95 Honda Civic EX (current daily driver)
Juans_Mx3

Postby danielleb » Thu May 03, 2007 11:35 pm

I voted Yes, If not someday!
-danee-
88' CRX Si & 07' Civic Si
Let's Get Frid
danielleb
Pretty in Pink

Postby imgoingforit » Fri May 04, 2007 5:11 pm

It will certainly be a collectible...classic? Maybe.

-Chris
sxysweed wrote:They're good for cool points on NWP and that's about it.
jdmtruong wrote:had some rotas but u know gotta have the real rims
imgoingforit

Postby daveb91 » Sat May 05, 2007 4:44 pm

Not a classic.
91 CRX Si JRSC Turboedit ECU
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/560256
daveb91

Postby ComposiMo » Sat May 05, 2007 5:14 pm

Just because we're fans of this car doesn't and won't make it a "classic"...... of COURSE as a fan of it, you will always think that it'll have "classic" value someday.... but you're going to be the only one out there thinking that.

A "classic" to me is something that the everday-average-joe-shmo-ho-blo will look at, and immediately recognize as a truely special automobile.... Most people on the road see the CRX as just another little econobox... nothing special... its on the same level as a Hyundai Accent to them... deny it all you want, its the truth.

The Shelby Cobra is one of the first cars to come to mind that has this 'classic' status, as do some older street rods, muscle cars, etc... but only a few of them do.

As for it being "collectible"..... it will sorta be, but ONLY amongst the small handfull of people who embrace this vehicle as something special... and its value will only go up as long as those who love it continue to love it once they make a lot more money, and are willing to pay more for a clean example of what they love... and the clean ones need to become even more rare than they are right now. But if people grow older, and either lose interest in the econobox as their monetary means grow bigger, or decide that the car is just not for them anymore, then the value of them will not go up significantly.

As much as it pains me to say it, i don't think the CRX will ever gain the reputation or 'love' that older muscle cars and so forth are enjoying today amongst the general public... and when talking true 'classic' status, that is a VERY important yardstick.
John.W
ComposiMo

Postby daveb91 » Sat May 05, 2007 7:21 pm

I think a 72 Datsun 240z is more of a "classic" car than a CRX will ever be. The Datsun started something the CRX never had the same appeal.
daveb91

Postby Baker » Sat May 05, 2007 8:08 pm

ComposiMo wrote:A "classic" to me is something that the everday-average-joe-shmo-ho-blo will look at, and immediately recognize as a truely special automobile....

Some ppl also have the attitude that an old car is just that, an old car. They could also see any "old" car and either think it is a primitive, nothing special, gas guzzling, non eco friendly hog. :lol:

But generally for the most part, "old cars" are seen as classics, something you don't see on the road everyday.

I think for now the Crx has a cult classic type of following ,but maybe someday it could be a classic, who knows.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby ComposiMo » Sat May 05, 2007 8:41 pm

No, i was not referring to "any old car"... as i said, only SOME generate that response in average everyday people.

There are not a lot of "classics" in the world... just cause a car is old, rare, hard to find parts for, etc, does not make it a "classic"....

An AMC Pacer is "rare" and hard to find parts for, but it is certainly not a "classic" by any stretch.
John.W
ComposiMo

Postby SETI20 » Sat May 05, 2007 8:44 pm

baker423 wrote:I think for now the Crx has a cult classic type of following ,but maybe someday it could be a classic, who knows.
A couple of hunderd kids on an internet forum does not a cult make.
SETI20

Postby daveb91 » Sat May 05, 2007 11:51 pm

SETI20 wrote:
baker423 wrote:I think for now the Crx has a cult classic type of following ,but maybe someday it could be a classic, who knows.

As much as I like the car I agree.
daveb91

Postby Robyn » Mon May 07, 2007 6:21 pm

i think that the stock CRX will be a classic because the vehicles that are considered classic are seen that way by the generation that grew up with them... people who are driving the CRX now will look at it long after they've sold theirs and be reminded of good times in their life.

At some point, i think many of the vehicles that fit the "fast and furious" mold will be classics, and this will happen when the trend of new vehicle styles has changed into something else. The CRX will be up there with them even though it came along sooner than all the rest.

just give it a few more years. it has to be stock tho... otherwise it might be more like a custom hot rod and not so classic.
Last edited by Robyn on Mon May 07, 2007 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robyn

Postby coldtotouch » Mon May 07, 2007 6:26 pm

The CRX is a classic... i will own at least one for as long as i live.
one mans trash, is another mans treasure.
1991 CRX Si Special Edition #762
coldtotouch

Postby Ri0uXx » Mon May 07, 2007 9:04 pm

sure it's going to be a classic...not comparable with the hyundai accent.. :shock: ...
CRX Si Special Edition #827
Ri0uXx

Postby Baker » Tue May 08, 2007 8:30 am

ComposiMo wrote:An AMC Pacer is "rare" and hard to find parts for, but it is certainly not a "classic" by any stretch.

Not to us, or the general public, but to that guy restoring it, it is. :D

I think maybe "classic" is a relative term and can be applied depending on who you talk to. :ohwell:
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby andrey320 » Tue May 08, 2007 10:45 am

Definitions of classic car -
- Classic car is a term frequently used to describe an older car, but the exact meaning is subject to differences in opinion. Some are very inclusive, considering any older car in fine condition a classic. Others, including the "Concours d'Elegance" and the Classic Car Club of America maintain that 1948 is the last year for the true classics.

- The Classic Car Club of America claims to have invented the term Classic car and thus it believes that the true definition of the term is its. According to the CCCA:
- A CCCA Classic is a fine or distinctive automobile, either American or foreign built, produced between 1925 and 1948. Generally, a Classic was high-priced when new and was built in limited quantities. Other factors, including engine displacement, custom coachwork and luxury accessories, such as power brakes, power clutch, and "one-shot" or automatic lubrication systems, help determine whether a car is considered to be a Classic.

- (US) Legally, most states have time-based rules for the definition of "classic" for purposes such as antique vehicle registration; for example, Pennsylvania defines it as "A motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured at least 15 years prior to the current year which has been maintained in or restored to a condition which is substantially in conformity with manufacturer specifications and appearance."

- (UK) There is no fixed definition of a Classic car. Two taxation issues do impact however, leading to some people using them as cut off dates. All cars built before 1 January 1973 are free from paying the annual road tax vehicle excise duty- this is then entered on the licence disc displayed on the windscreen as "historic vehicle" ( if a car built before this date has been first registered in 1973 or later then its build date would have to be verified by a recognised body such as British Motor Heritage Foundation to claim tax free status). The government Revenue and Customs define a classic car for company taxation purposes as being over 15 years old and having a value in excess of £15,000
andrey320

Postby CRXXX » Tue May 08, 2007 11:11 am

jfrolang wrote:Is a Buick GNX a classic? I'd say so, because you won't see another car built like that ever again. Same deal with the CRX.

theres talk at honda to remake the crx i read the newsline somewhere but i still think its a classic
CRXXX

Postby jfrolang » Tue May 08, 2007 11:19 am

Any talk of Honda building another CRX is purely speculation.

A CRX may not be a classic in the strictest sense of the word, but it has a reputation regardless. Even owners of new Evos and STi's feel compelled to validate themselves against a CRX, as evidenced by all the revs I get driving in and around Atlanta. Like I once said in my sig, a CRX is a legend among imports, and to me, the quintessential sport compact.
jfrolang
Site Admin

Postby Baker » Tue May 08, 2007 11:52 am

CRXXX wrote:theres talk at honda to remake the crx i read the newsline somewhere but i still think its a classic

That is called specualtion, rumor and has been discussed for the past 10yrs or so.

jfrolang wrote:A CRX may not be a classic in the strictest sense of the word, but it has a reputation regardless. Even owners of new Evos and STi's feel compelled to validate themselves against a CRX, as evidenced by all the revs I get driving in and around Atlanta. Like I once said in my sig, a CRX is a legend among imports, and to me, the quintessential sport compact.

I'll agree with that statement and i thinnk that may sum it up the best.
It does have a reputation and if it didn't you wouldn't have those EVO and STI guys (or others) revving/worried/concerned about you.

With as unfinised as my car is, I get revs from ppl in all sorts of "Sport Compacts", just because it has an "H" on the back, I must want to race.
:rolleyes1:
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby daveb91 » Wed May 09, 2007 4:51 pm

CRXXX wrote:theres talk at honda to remake the crx i read the newsline somewhere but i still think its a classic

OMG no he didnt!!!!!! :evil:
daveb91

Postby Baker » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:53 am

SETI20 wrote:

So the N meets do not justify that the car has a cult following either?
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby lerxst88 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:56 am

CRXXX wrote:
jfrolang wrote:Is a Buick GNX a classic? I'd say so, because you won't see another car built like that ever again. Same deal with the CRX.

i agree with this statement. i love my car because its not weighed down with GPS, parking sensors, and a computer that parallel parks your car for you. its electronic gizmos include: radio, starter, AC, heat, gauges, lighting...ummm i guess thats it. it seems like all the car companies now are turning cars into either living rooms or computers or both. i dont see people going back to lightweight effecient cars anytime soon so i see the CRX as being a classic in the sense it was a brilliant design and was killed off too soon at the hands of profit for the oil companies, the government, and big business instead of doing the right thing. anyone ever see the GM Ev-1 or who killed the electric car?
vouch for: moodyamino
lerxst88

Postby daveb91 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:02 pm

baker423 wrote:
SETI20 wrote:

So the N meets do not justify that the car has a cult following either?

No........this is old.
daveb91

Postby Baker » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:16 pm

daveb91 wrote:this is old.

:rolleyes1:
Yes, I know, and you're more than free to bypass it if you like.
I realize it's and old thread, but many new members have joined since and figured it was a good topic of discussion to bring back for some new faces.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby jfrolang » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:03 pm

baker423 wrote:So the N meets do not justify that the car has a cult following either?

Why bring back a dead thread with something you should have said 7 months ago?
jfrolang
Site Admin

Postby rex2nr » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:07 pm

This thread is deader than Soviet Russia
-Scott-
projectCRX Sold
1999 Ford Ranger - Project DD 2011 Ford Escape - family/dog/parts hauler
rex2nr
Resto-Modder

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge