(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

91 Tahitian green si

Show off your CRX. Member rides, pictures, project threads and galleries can go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 91 Tahitian green si

Postby ClaytonTroxell » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:48 pm

Here is the climate control put back together, I plugged it in just to test the lights since it is possible for them to be in 180 off and they won't turn on. I had most of them working and then I took it out to try to get the rest working. Now when I put it back in the only thing that works is the AC button... I'll have to dig more but it was too cold last night to keep working. I am excited about how it looks so far when it works tho. A big upgrade I think.

Current CRX 1991 TGP SI
First CRX 1990 White DX 2009-2013
SmaShitUp
ClaytonTroxell

Postby signalpuke » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:33 pm

Looks great!
signalpuke

Postby Baker » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:14 am

Car looks good.
All that little broken stuff is annoying, but at least the car is solid and not rotten!
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby ClaytonTroxell » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:04 pm

Picked up my seats last night!

They are tan and dirty but there are no rips and the cushion is solid and comfy. $60 off some kid. I am planning to use the VHT Vinyl dye to make them black or two-tone black with grey in the center. Thoughts on how that might come out?

Current CRX 1991 TGP SI
SmaShitUp
ClaytonTroxell

Postby Baker » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:49 am

94/95 GSR seats?

I'd leave them Gray, they look more gray than tan.
The one thing I'd be worried about is that dye fading at some point, as it does wear with time.

Please say you're going to mount them correctly and not just rig them in there?
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby ClaytonTroxell » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:32 am

Yes I plan to mount them properly this time. I have rigged them before when I didn’t have the old seats and I was not happy with the result. I thought they were grey from the add picture but in person they are definitely tan. I suppose if they fade I could re dye them... I could also have them reupholstered somewhere down the line but right it is not worth the money to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current CRX 1991 TGP SI
SmaShitUp
ClaytonTroxell

Postby tommy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:52 am

Damn, someone with anger issues in need of a manicure really hated that interior. :shrug:

If you get stuck on any of the small plastic bits, post up here, and I'll go through my mason jars.
1990 ZcSi
tommy
Not Forgotten

Postby ClaytonTroxell » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:40 am

I have been too busy to get a lot done other than research and shop. I wired up the radio head and checked that it all worked and it does. I am picking up the dye for the seats tomorrow and with any luck I'll have the dash out tomorrow.

I have been looking into suspension and I have convinced myself that I want Tokico illuminas shocks and ground control springs. I have never done anything but stock replacements on any cars. I live on a mountain road so I want to be tighter than stock but I also am in southern California so once I get off the mountain the roads are crap. What else should I be buying/changing/upgrading in that area? Mind you it may be a long time till I get to this area of the car. TYIA!
Current CRX 1991 TGP SI
SmaShitUp
ClaytonTroxell

Postby ClaytonTroxell » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:54 pm

Got the dash almost out. It just got dark before I could drop down the steering column. Tanking the dash out is a PITA... but hopefully I'll be able to repair more damage than I cause. I should be able to get the gauge cluster lights in tomorrow too. Also got the vinyl dye for the seats so it's time to clean those up and start breaking them down.
Current CRX 1991 TGP SI
SmaShitUp
ClaytonTroxell

Postby ClaytonTroxell » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:13 pm

I got the dash out today, took the seats out too.

Cleaned up the new seats, still need to break down it down.

I put the LEDs in the gauge cluster and tested it.

I took the steering wheel apart to figure out why it was off sided a bit and one of the spring studs had broke. luckily it was all still there so I have glued it back. We will see if it holds once it's assembled.

I saw this on the passenger side and wondered what is supposed to go in these clips. If anyone knows I would be happy to learn.

I also put LEDs in for the trunk light and the dome light. The dome light is very sensitive and unreliable so I need to figure out where the weak connection is.

I found that all the bare metal behind the dash was very rusty so I would like to clean that up. I know it's a 30 year old car but how would it get so rusty? I got it from Sacramento so it's not like crazy humid or anything. Just interesting...

I also got the armrest from Gregparts today. I like it but I am trying to figure out how to smooth it out so it doesn't look like a vinyl record. Thinking either sand it down or use some kind of filler...

Waiting to order carpet on the next paycheck and things should begin to start coming back together.
Current CRX 1991 TGP SI
SmaShitUp
ClaytonTroxell

Postby signalpuke » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:21 pm

ClaytonTroxell wrote:I found that all the bare metal behind the dash was very rusty so I would like to clean that up. I know it's a 30 year old car but how would it get so rusty? I got it from Sacramento so it's not like crazy humid or anything. Just interesting...

Probably just typical surface rust from humidity in general. I don't think I've ever seen the bare metal behind a dash rust free. Should be able to clean it up with pretty easily if you want, probably won't affect anything if you don't. It's not like the rot rust these older chassis get in the quarter panels.
signalpuke

Postby tommy » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:13 am

https://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php? ... e#p1495761

I think this is what those clips are.

And yes, that's just surface rust. Nothing to be really bothered about, IMHO. But if you are, spray some POR15 over top of it before you reinstall everything.

I will need to replace my dash harness when I'm ready to do my AP2 cluster - did you see any way to switch that out without having to completely remove the dash first? Would love to avoid that, but don't think it's possible.
1990 ZcSi
tommy
Not Forgotten

Postby ClaytonTroxell » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:54 pm

tommy wrote:I will need to replace my dash harness when I'm ready to do my AP2 cluster - did you see any way to switch that out without having to completely remove the dash first? Would love to avoid that, but don't think it's possible.

You may be able to get to it without taking the dash completely out of the car but there are three screws holding the harness in that you have to get at blind just behind the cluster. You’ll be 99% there anyway, might as well just take it out so you have plenty of room to work in.

Also I have a couple lines using that clip but it looks like there is one missing. I’m thinking it was maybe for the subwoofer option? I think it was called the gigatube.

I’m not really bothered by the rust although I will clean it up since I’m here. Just curious how it happens. It got me worried that the car had been flooded at some point.
Current CRX 1991 TGP SI
SmaShitUp
ClaytonTroxell

Postby tommy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:30 am

Yeah, I saw that L bracket on a youtube video I've watched way too many times to admit to.

Thanks for the info - I'd agree that it's probably just way easier to remove everything. Then I can do the wiring, verify that the cluster's operational, then put everything back in, probably cleaning and painting whatever I can on the way.
1990 ZcSi
tommy
Not Forgotten

Postby ClaytonTroxell » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:48 am

I am about halfway through the panswap for the seats. I am not a fan of this process... I just test fit the integra cushion on the crx pan and it sat very low. I have an idea to put the springs from the integra pan on the crx pan to add some height but I am worried that I will feel it through the seat. My other idea is to cut some foam from the tore up seat to fill in. If you have experience or thoughts please share.

I am still confused abut how the seat back works. Am I taking the integra skin and foam from the back off of the metal frame and fitting it to the crx frame? or does the back bolt up? I have studied everything I can find here and on HT and there is mixed info it seems... again, any wisdom or ideas please share.
Current CRX 1991 TGP SI
SmaShitUp
ClaytonTroxell

Postby ClaytonTroxell » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:55 am

Alright so here is how I ended up putting the springs from the Integra seat pan into the CRX seat pan.

I had to do some drilling but I am happy with it, much more supportive. I also plan to drill the holes out just a bit so that the integra back will bolt onto the CRX pan and I can use all the plastic covers from the Integra. Unless of course somebody knows something that I don't about this. It should save me from taking the seat back fabric and foam off the metal and refitting it to the CRX metal.

I also found that found that I have a leak, I figure this is why the carpet was removed and maybe why theres surface rust on the metal pieces behind the dash. So now I get to hunt that down.
Current CRX 1991 TGP SI
SmaShitUp
ClaytonTroxell

Postby ClaytonTroxell » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:50 pm

Well I did some research here and it seems the leak is either from the windshield seal or cracks around the hood hinges. I also have the hatch leaks but that is expected. we had a lot more rain and now snow. Almost 2 inches inside the car so I vacuumed it out and it is under a tarp now...

I did some repair to the dash with some bonding putty. I am not supper happy with the outcome but I plan to put a cover over it anyway. I am happy with the new life and color it got with the VHT Vinyl Dye. I am going to have to do the grey again because some pulled off with the masking tape but overall I do like how the dash looks and I can't wait to get it back in with the seats.

I decided to spray the metal pieces behind the dash too.

I also dyed the bottom part of the seat center with grey. I didn't take a picture yet. I am happy with it except that the fabric is pretty stiff right now. I am hoping it will soften with some wear but the look is good.

I also got my steering wheel cover in from WheelSkins. The speakers and sound deadening came too. I am getting pretty good at spending money but have not quite figured out how to spend time to actually do stuff...
Current CRX 1991 TGP SI
SmaShitUp
ClaytonTroxell

Postby ClaytonTroxell » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:00 pm

I dyed the rest of the bottom part of the seat yesterday since there was a break in weather. I think it came out great! It looks better in the picture than in real life but I am still very happy with it.

I can't wait to get the seats put all back together!
Current CRX 1991 TGP SI
SmaShitUp
ClaytonTroxell

Postby ClaytonTroxell » Sun May 10, 2020 11:53 pm

Well it has been a bit and I always wish I could spend more time with it but I do have some updates.

I actually got the passenger seat in today and the driver seat is all painted and ready to be built. I'll try to collect some details on how that came out.

I did the antenna delete. Used the 3D print plate from Greggparts. I sanded it down and used rustoleum textured. I am happy with it! I plan to put an antenna under the dash.

I got the dash back in and I am really happy with how it looks. Problem is that everything else looks worse off now.
I also got the Tegiwa rubber dash mat suggested by Tommy, RIP. I never met him but I am sure that I will always think of him when I look at the dash mat now... Reminder of many things...

I have the entire rear of the interior out as of today. I have new carpet to put in but I don't want to do it until I get the windshield leak figured out. I have some sound deadening to put in. I worked today to get the radio mount figured. Having to do a custom job since the stereo deck I thought would be perfect turned out not to be.

I was working on getting the window seal to set properly and wondered what the hard plastic art that pokes out is. Does anyone know what its function is?
Current CRX 1991 TGP SI
SmaShitUp
ClaytonTroxell

Postby Cementups » Sun May 17, 2020 12:15 am

ClaytonTroxell wrote:
I was working on getting the window seal to set properly and wondered what the hard plastic art that pokes out is. Does anyone know what its function is?

It's a door window stopper. Just keeps the window from going to far if it's out fo the track.

And yeah, Tommy was a heck of a guy. I will truly miss him and our badgering each other.
Cementups

Previous

Return to The Showroom