(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

gauge cluster wiring

Engine swaps, bolt-ons, tuning, OBD-1 conversions, forced induction, suspension & brake upgrades, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: gauge cluster wiring

Postby Baker » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:03 am

VolRex wrote:How can you tell which cluster you have?

viewtopic.php?t=6216
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby 288REX » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:04 pm

Bump to a 4 year old topic! Just used this to re-pin my gauge cluster. 90/91 Dx/Si cluster into an 88 Hf.

I practiced de-pinning and re-pinning on a spare dash harness I have from an 88 Dx. It doesn't have the little blue plug in the center of the cluster, although my 88 Hf does. Either way I've tested both harness being pinned for 90/91 clusters and it didn't seem to make any difference whatsoever.

The only issue I have is with the lighting. Everything corresponds to the diagram but I'm not getting any backlights. The 88/89 dimmer switch is the same (function and wiring) as the the 90/91, so I know I have a good switch, as I've used both during testing. Anyone have this issue?

*Edit- Figured it out, most of the bulbs in my new cluster were burned out/missing. Works perfectly :-)b
288REX

Postby raffaelli » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:20 pm

Great timing for this. I am building a new face panel for Autometer gauges and want to relocate some of the idiot lights to an led strip. Thanks for the wiring diagram. :-)b
raffaelli

Postby Syper » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:23 am

This is old but whatever.

I'm sure this isn't 100% correct about the 88-89 colors and wire locations.

I tried to do this the other day and found out I had 18 wires instead of the 19 pictured. This was on an 88 Si. I checked my dad's Stock 88 DX and it was exactly the same. Both were missing a wire. Non were modified.

88 clusters don't have the door icon on the clusters either so I think that might be a problem? Don't know yet since I'm still trying to mount it.....(I got the wiring done though)

And that's another thing! The 90-91 cluster does not mount up to the 88 dash board bracket things that hold it. You have to modify the brackets because the cluster leans forward.The upper part needs to be modified so it can lay back abit.

You can't just get the 90-91 brackets either because then the cluster sits higher and then you can't put the cluster surround on it. :shock:

and yes I have both of the brackets.
Syper

Postby Racer Rex » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:10 am

this will help me later! thanks!
Racer Rex

Postby Racer Rex » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:11 am

raffaelli wrote:Great timing for this. I am building a new face panel for Autometer gauges and want to relocate some of the idiot lights to an led strip. Thanks for the wiring diagram. :-)b

I want to see pics!
Racer Rex

Postby Syper » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:47 pm

Well I got my 90-91 cluster in the other day, but the door icon didn't light up like I predicted! :?

My 88 cluster has no door open icon or wire...
Syper

Postby Kuma » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:14 am

Serious bump to an almost 5year old post.

Pop quiz: What are the mounting issues, if any, for putting an '89 dash into a '90?

Just the dash, not worried about the clusters or wiring. Both models are Si. Any issue with mounting or fitment (I'm not sure if fitment is a word but we're going to go ahead and rock it).

Thanks in advance for any contributions.

Kuma
Kuma

Postby jfrolang » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:29 am

Kuma wrote:Pop quiz: What are the mounting issues, if any, for putting an '89 dash into a '90?

The harnesses are not the same but the dash itself is no different.
jfrolang
Site Admin

Postby vagitarian » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:50 pm

bump, Id love to know how to wire up the 90-91 cluster switches

Ive got the cluster wiring pinned into the 90-91 spots, but the switches arent the same.

My 89 dimmer harness plug clicks into the 90-91 plug no problem, but do the wires need to be repinned? I definetely need to extend them but the plug is the same atleast.

The defroster plug on my 89 wiring is completely different than the defrost switch on the 90-91 cluster, 3 wire VS 5 flat

Appreciate any help!!
vagitarian

Postby Crx_AA » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:38 pm

Hi,

need help, recently swap my 88-89 cluster to a 90-91 SIR cluster, my problem is when i turn on the lights my engine light turn on. What's the problem?
Crx_AA

Re:

Postby sierrob » Thu May 21, 2020 4:26 pm

Krix wrote:I mean all of your fuses in general. There are several grounds around the car. Under the dash, from the valve cover to the frame, trans to frame. A loose ground can cause all sorts of electrical problems.

do you happen to have pictures of the locations i can possibly see? of the grounds under the dash, iv noticed a lot of grounds on my car lose, and a couple electrical problems...
sirRex
sierrob

Postby Baker » Fri May 22, 2020 6:00 am

Crx_AA wrote:Hi,

need help, recently swap my 88-89 cluster to a 90-91 SIR cluster, my problem is when i turn on the lights my engine light turn on. What's the problem?

You didn't wire something properly.
The wiring coming from the car that controls the CEL isn't wired correctly to correspond to the SiR cluster.
You need to swap something around, get a wire schematic to troubleshoot this.
Baker
Mr. Search

Previous

Return to Modification Garage