(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Autocross and Track Day tire choices

Discussions about one thing: the race. Whether it's autocross, drag, road or rally, take it TO THE TRACK and post about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Autocross and Track Day tire choices

Postby RFarver48 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:45 am

I have a 1987 CRX that was set up to run in SCCA ITC class. I use the car for autocross and Track Days. Right now I have two sets of tires, Toyo R888's and Hoosier slicks. Both sets are 205/60 R13. Is there a recommendation for tire choice for either autocross or Track Days?
Here in the upstate South Carolina area the autocrosses are run on normal asphalt parking lot surfaces. For Track Days I go to Atlanta Motorsport Park, Road Atlanta and the like.
I still have a 3rd set of wheels so a different tire is an option.
What are other people running successfully?
RFarver48

Re: Autocross and Track Day tire choices

Postby RFarver48 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:19 pm

Air pressures:

If anyone is racing a CRX with Hoosier 205/50R13 tires, what tire pressures have you found work best for autocross and/or track events? Same for anyone running Toyo R888 tires of the same size.
RFarver48

Postby Dave_Darling » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:54 am

Run the Hoosiers if you can. They're proper R-compound tires; the R888s are more streetable and make some compromises for that.

I am assuming you change tires when you are at the event. Driving on the street on the Hoosiers can get far too exciting very quickly, especially in the cold and/or wet. You'll also wind up replacing them rather more frequently if you drive to the events on them.

Then again, if you're just looking to get track time, the R888s will likely last you longer than the Hoosiers and would be the better option.

Ask Hoosier about recommended pressures and/or temperatures for their tires. They'll want to know weight, power level, and so on, but they should be able to provide you with a starting point.

--DD
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Sold on 10/01/11, with over 227,000 miles.

VTEC is Honda's "select a cam profile on the fly" system; VTECH is a crappy phone.
Dave_Darling

Postby RFarver48 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:34 pm

The CRX is not licensed for the street. I use a trailer to transport it to events.
Tire pressure recommendations from Hoosier, Toyo and Tire Rack are in ranges of pressures. I am looking for recommendations from people who have run these tires and what they found to be the best pressure. Hoping to narrow down the best pressure for my vehicle.
RFarver48

Postby Dave_Darling » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:51 pm

Too many variables to be able to say what is best for your vehicle. You have a starting point now; use that.

You will have to adjust it to suit your exact car, alignment, driving style, pavement, course layout, and on and on and on and on. Either use a pyrometer and check temps right as you get off the course, or just experiment with different settings while driving as consistently as you can.

You can also do testing on a skid-pad, but that will only give you information about steady-state grip.

If there was any one pressure value that was best for the car, it would be posted everywhere by now...

--DD
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Sold on 10/01/11, with over 227,000 miles.

VTEC is Honda's "select a cam profile on the fly" system; VTECH is a crappy phone.
Dave_Darling

Postby raffaelli » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:56 pm

Not sure it is apples to apples...but I target 38 hot on my R7's roadracing. I generally start them 28-32 depending on what corner of the car they are on.
raffaelli

Postby solorex » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:03 pm

I've autocrossed for years with Hoosiers on my CRX. 225/45-13. Like above it depends on your setup but I was generally using 27-29psi cold. You can easily tell by chalking your sidewalls and adjusting pressure as needed. Also use a pyrometer to check temps across the tread section to ensure you are heating the tire evenly.

I also use R888 for the track just because of their longevity. These typically like to see higher pressures cold (mid 30's) I found. But again depends on your camber settings etc...
solorex

Postby Mista Bone » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:06 am

raffaelli wrote:Not sure it is apples to apples...but I target 38 hot on my R7's roadracing. I generally start them 28-32 depending on what corner of the car they are on.

And have you tracked the trans I built yet?
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Return to Track Racing (Drag/Autocross/Road/Rally X)