(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

is having a removable steering wheel a good security?

Audio, video, navigation, radar detectors and more. Also for alarms, security systems, kill switches, and other immobilization techniques.

Moderator: Moderators

is having a removable steering wheel a good security?

Postby kracksmith » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:18 pm

so i was thinking to get a removable steering wheel as a security measure to project my CRX. It wouldn't be the only security but just something I thought would justify be buying one to say it could be a addition item for security.

i mean which theft will have the exact steering wheel with the right adapter to steal a car.
kracksmith

Re: is having a removable steering wheel a good security?

Postby Foogar » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:12 pm

Foogar

Postby ColdLumpen » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:14 pm

It's good security if you don't want your steering wheel stolen. :P Seriously though, mine was stolen and some sort of tool with teeth was used on the splined hub to drive the car. I'm curious how it felt to drive like that with the Quaife steering pinion.
-james. 91 Si
ColdLumpen

Postby 4drSpankR » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:41 am

For me, it's just added deterrent. If someone wants your car bad enough, they will take it.

I installed a quick-release hub to mine and there's no way you can use Vise-Grips to steer the vehicle. So yes, in that sense, it is good security, but it shouldn't be your ONLY security.
1991 HF - '97 B18C1
1989 Si - gone
4drSpankR

Postby kracksmith » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:51 pm

4drspank4, do you mind posting what brand you used to avoid the vise grip? im in the market for one.

for 100% security, a company should have a hydralic lock to all 4 brakes. the only way to steal that is to pick up the car, which yes its possible but kind of hard to do so. A hidden 4g GSM device should be in there too.
kracksmith

Postby 4drSpankR » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:45 am

kracksmith wrote:4drspankR, do you mind posting what brand you used to avoid the vise grip? im in the market for one.

https://jhpusa.com/collections/quick-release-hubs/products/nrg-quick-release-kit-thin-version

kracksmith wrote:for 100% security, a company should have a hydralic lock to all 4 brakes. the only way to steal that is to pick up the car, which yes its possible but kind of hard to do so. A hidden 4g GSM device should be in there too.

Still not 100%, I've seen pictures of an Integra literally being drug away because of security. One of the reasons my CRX is in a locked garage and also parked in.
1991 HF - '97 B18C1
1989 Si - gone
4drSpankR

Postby tommy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:22 pm

I've got an NRG quick release and their quick tilt system on my CRX. The short hub is fine; the quick tilt mechanism keeps loosening up. Yes, I'm sure that some loctite would probably do the job, but I don't think that I should have to use it. It's a ripoff of the Works Bell unit; before I drive the car again in the spring, I'll be swapping in the WB version.

Long story short - NRG stuff can be ok, but I've also seen many people say how bad the NRG stuff is and seen videos. If you can afford it, it's safer to avoid NRG overall, imho.

Quick releases are somewhat of a decent deterrent, especially if you put on a lock withe wheel off. Nothing's foolproof, though.
1990 ZcSi
tommy
Not Forgotten

Postby Baker » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:46 am

kracksmith wrote:for 100% security, a company should have a hydralic lock to all 4 brakes. the only way to steal that is to pick up the car

Nope. The Crx is light enough and can be easily dragged away by any competent vehicle.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby Mista Bone » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:47 am

Baker wrote:
kracksmith wrote:for 100% security, a company should have a hydralic lock to all 4 brakes. the only way to steal that is to pick up the car

Nope. The Crx is light enough and can be easily dragged away by any competent vehicle.

They aren't really worried about the rear tires as they drive away with it using a repo truck. Also another quick trick it drag it onto a tilt bed roll back tow truck and drive away. Worry about securing it later.
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Return to Car Audio, Gadgets and Security