Honda CRX Forum banner

Installing some subs this summer, need some advice

5K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Cementups 
#1 ·
I don't have the subs/amp in front of me but basically my dad is giving me his subs that he used to have in his excursion. They're two 12's already in a box with the amp attached, only problem is that the box is around an inch too tall for me to still use the rear cargo cover. I'd really prefer that it fit under the cover because I don't want any unwanted attention and a greater possibility of someone breaking into my car. My question is simply how hard is it to make a box for two 12's? I'm willing to put in the time to make a box, I just don't want it to sound like crap because I know that the box has a big effect on how the subs sound. It doesn't matter if the box takes up all my trunk space either because I could really care less. Before I get flamed yes I know this is overkill for a crx :lol:

#2 ·
Why not just use 1 of the subs and make a smaller box since you're going to have to re-make it anyway? Just seems a bit pointless to use both since you admit that it's overkill. It's not all that difficult to make a box, especially if it's just a sealed type, you just need to look at the volume you need for your specific subs. Ported boxes are more complicated. Remember to seal all your joints really well though.

#3 ·
If you are at least decent with a saw, it is not hard at all. Get some mdf and some silicon caulking. Pay special attention to the volume your sub needs. I agree with the comment on a single sub, it will just sound better IMHO. Also a smaller sub will let you make a small box in the trunk, and still give you enough space to put stuff in the back. good luck!

#6 ·
I'd be careful with installing flashy audio equipment. This is how I got my car after someone broke into it for the radio & speakers:

After trading a bunch of stuff for a hatch (that the guy decided to tell me it wasn't in that good of shape ON MY WHERE THERE) I ended up pulling that panel out and gluing it in mine. Basically a huge pain to replace or repair damage as a result of theft. Not to mention the countless time I spent vacuuming all the glass out. (Even in the AC vents!!!!!)

#8 ·
Yeah, me and a buddy were looking at it when i first got it, and couldn't figure out how in the hell to unlatch the hatch (rhyming words, yay) from there.

Then my dad comes and opens it up after having his hand in there for ~5 seconds. :rofl:

#9 ·
I'm trying to keep it as unflashy as possible, the only thing you'd really be able to see from outside the car is my $40 head unit. Here's pics of the amp & subs

Looks like I'll need to pick up a piece of this shortly

I bought these yesterday, gold plated 0 gauge battery terminals 8)

#10 ·
I was thinking about throwing my monoblock 3200 watt amp & my 12" solo baric into the hatch. I decided against it after realizing that'd mean no more strut tower bar :( but damn, subs would sound great with as small cubic foot as a CRX has.

#11 ·
Does anyone know where a good place is to buy 0 gauge wire? I see it all over ebay (I want a 50ft roll) but my friend said that wire is more insulation than actual wire

#13 ·
Yes but they sell it as 0 gauge while it's truly maybe 2 gauge at best. I've been doing some reading and I might just run some 0 gauge welding wire 8)

#15 ·
Personally, I am going to be making a box that take the pace of the rear divider. My divider is broken and replacements are expensive. Hopefully I can make the box look nearly like the divider, carpet and all. Going to use the divider hardware as well to make it blend in. This might be another option, and wouldnt take up your whole trunk. Just a thought.

#18 ·
daveb91 said:
Bass link is very very unreliable so many bad reviews of the amp crapping itself.
I hadn't heard about that.
Well I would still go for a smaller setup, even if it's just a custom made box with one 10" and amp.
That would be more than sufficient for a Crx and you can get very nice sound out of a 10.

#19 ·
Maybe not for everyone but a powered 6" bazooka sounds really nice. The other speakers run off the aftermarket radio (the rears are close to being faded out).
Simple, takes up little room and comes out rather easily. And you can find them used pretty cheap (got mine for $70 - like new).

Just a thought...I'll take a few pics tomorrow for anyone that's curious.

#20 ·
No offense but I don't think you guys really understand what I'm going for :x I don't care if the setup takes up all my trunk space, I just want to simply install these subs and get the most I can out of them

#21 ·
ohisofly said:
No offense but I don't think you guys really understand what I'm going for :x I don't care if the setup takes up all my trunk space, I just want to simply install these subs and get the most I can out of them
Oh, then click on the link below - it gives the number for both sealed and vented boxes. They are dual voice coils so be sure you know how to best wire these for your application (parallel or series). There should be something online that can help you with the dimension, maybe even a prefab if the numbers come out right.

http://www.gooddeals18.com/product/BMW3 ... oofer.html

Good luck

#22 ·
Baker said:
Sell this stuff off, amp, subs and box.
Buy an enclosed powered sub, Infinity basslink sounds very nice and WON'T take up your entire cargo area!

I had a Basslink in my CRX till someone decided I didn't need a passenger side window or a stereo system. The thing bumped. I never had a single problem with it. And it was the perfect size for the CRX.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.