Honda CRX Forum banner

6-Point Harness Recommendations?

7K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  tommy 
#1 ·
Getting my new fixed back sometime in the upcoming weeks, and from looking around, it looks like Schroth is the current go-to for a 6-pt.

Does anyone have any experience with anyone else of a positive nature? Danke. Not doing an Hans but do want a good cam release. And has to be available in red, for the bling factor. :p

#3 ·
I have Sparco harnesses in my CRX, which I like, but they are on the expensive end. They do have super nice tab/flap things for the adjustments rather than the little straps that most have, but depending on your seat that may not be ideal (they are almost too wide for mine). We have G-forces in Jay's car, I believe they are 5-point but 6-point are available as well.

Personally I have used the Schroth and I hate them, the buckle is molded for your fingertips rather than a normal lever which is a little more annoying to manipulate. They are very common among rally and track day drivers who like to spend a lot more money than they need to, IMHO.

#4 ·
Well, the BMW drivers all swear by them, which yes, indicates that they're overpriced. :wink:

At about half the price of the Schroth harnesses, it seems hard to argue with the G-Force (though the hardware is additional).

#8 ·
Driving through the Boston area on Friday on my way to Maine for the weekend, and stopping by HMS just north of Baaaaaston to try out the seats they have (mostly the Cobra, specifically the Imola), and will be checking out what harnesses they stock as well. Hoping to find something, but in no rush as this year has been a wash anyway, and I'm basically prepping for next spring, realistically.

#9 ·
Probably more expensive then most entry level racers want to spend but I like Hooker Harness http://hookerharness.com. I have never used them in a car but they are the go to harness for my flying club so I use them regularly in the air. They are one of the top names in aerobatic aircraft harnesses and are popular in a wide range of motor sports as well.

Their belts are custom made to order. You get to choose the latch type, termination for each belt, belt color, belt width, color of any desired pads, border color of pads, and probably stitching color as well. We like being able to match the belts to the aircraft color scheme and require belts to be tagged as meeting the appropriate alphabet soup of standards.

In the interest of disclosure I do know Jack Hooker from various air shows and fly ins.

Mike

#11 ·
Tom and Mike - thanks for the input. Mike, their harnesses do look interesting, but what a horrible site. Tell Jack to hire someone to refresh that puppy; I'm sure most of their sales come from recommendations, but damn, that site is enough to scare off a good deal of potential business, I'd imagine.

Someone here did try the larger Imola on their crx, and said that it was just too wide to fit. I'll stop by the crx on the way home tonight and take some measurements - with the amount of flexibility in the seat location due to the Wicked seat frame and side mounts, there may be enough wiggle room to make the larger seat fit. On the other hand, I squoze into that Acropolis for something like 10-12 years, so it might be in my best interest to just get a normal size and deal with lubing up before sitting in it. I'll know more by this time tomorrow. :)b

#12 ·
Ended up looking at all of the pretty seats and didn't even look at the harnesses much.
New seat will be here in four weeks or so. That gives me a fair amount of time to prep and paint the floor pan so that's it's ready for test fittings.
Then I'll be on to the harness, just in time to get it ready for its winter siesta.

#13 ·
I run two ITA CRX cars in SCCA and have run other types of cars in the past. We use GForce, works fine for us we buy camlocks a bit more, but easier to put on. We run 6 points, but unless the rules say otherwise the 5 point will work just as well. We buy from Racers Wholesale, but many people sell the brand and the price is usually lower than most others. Make sure you get the right date and if possible pay the extra bucks and get the FIA it is legal longer in most racing.

#14 ·
Thanks for the additional information. :)b

Heard from HMS yesterday; the Cobras they sent out from Europe here have 2016 certifications, so they can't send out my seat til right after New Year's due to their policies. :evil: So will have to wait until then; a little bummed - I wanted to check on fitment before it got too cold to give a crap about it. I still think that I'll have to trim back the shoulder wings a little to get it to fit ok, but am hoping that the bottom will fit fine (no pun intended) without any necessary hacking of the center console. I'm already going with no carpeting and soundproofing, but not putting back the center console is a bit too far on the lack of creature comforts scale for me to be ok with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.