(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Replacement Radiator Suggestions?

Engine swaps, bolt-ons, tuning, OBD-1 conversions, forced induction, suspension & brake upgrades, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Replacement Radiator Suggestions?

Postby Languid » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:33 pm

I need to replace my stock radiator since I've recently noticed a leak at the top in the plastic parts. Ideally, I'd like to go with an all-metal radiator so I can solve the problem once :P . However, the aluminum Fluidynes are a little pricey for my wallet. Any recommendations out there for a reasonably-to-moderately priced radiator that isn't a metal mid section with plastic top/bottom? Anyone have any experience with the CRX radiator from radiatorbarn.com, and is it all-metal construction?

Thanks!
Languid

Postby stick » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:43 pm

I too would like some input on this topic. Since I will be replacing the one on my SE very soon.
91 CRX Si (frost white), 91½ CRX Si SE #758 (being restored), 91½ CRX Si SE #759
stick

Postby Charles » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:07 pm

I got an all metal double core that fit perfectly from Absolute Radiators and really like it. Excellent fit.
High Performance All-Metal(brass/copper) Radiator
for 88-91 Honda Civic/CRX

4 Cyl. 1.5/1.6L M/T & A/T Hatchback DX/SI & Sedan/Coupe (DX/LX/EX)
This radiator has rugged, all metal construction(brass and copper with a black finish), not plastic tanks like the factory OEM radiator. The radiator core is twice as thick as the factory radiator, (1 5/16 instead of 11/16), providing twice the cooling capacity. This radiator also has twice the number of cooling tube rows as the factory radiator, (2 instead of 1), providing twice the flow. Although this radiator does not have the maximum cooling capacity of the All-Aluminum Radiators, it is an excellant choice for hard driving, high heat conditions. This is a direct replacement radiator, no modifications required.

Made By: CSF
Warranty: Limited Lifetime

Price: $ $122.00
Charles
91 Tahitian Green CRX Si (Sold - viewtopic.php?f=26&t=56874)
89 Blade Silver CRX Si ZC (first and only owner until 04/17/2011)
Charles

Postby Ti Rider » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:30 am

Charles wrote:I got an all metal double core that fit perfectly from Absolute Radiators and really like it. Excellent fit.
High Performance All-Metal(brass/copper) Radiator
for 88-91 Honda Civic/CRX

4 Cyl. 1.5/1.6L M/T & A/T Hatchback DX/SI & Sedan/Coupe (DX/LX/EX)
This radiator has rugged, all metal construction(brass and copper with a black finish), not plastic tanks like the factory OEM radiator. The radiator core is twice as thick as the factory radiator, (1 5/16 instead of 11/16), providing twice the cooling capacity. This radiator also has twice the number of cooling tube rows as the factory radiator, (2 instead of 1), providing twice the flow. Although this radiator does not have the maximum cooling capacity of the All-Aluminum Radiators, it is an excellant choice for hard driving, high heat conditions. This is a direct replacement radiator, no modifications required.

Made By: CSF
Warranty: Limited Lifetime

Price: $ $122.00

I have the same radiator, same manufacturer, different vendor. I've had it for a couple of years. Not a single problem. It dropped right in. The copper and brass construction are much sturdier than the plastic OEM radiator. Unless you are running a boosted engine there is little reason to buy a $300+ aluminum race radiator over this unit.
'89 Blade Silver CRX Si
Member #17
Ti Rider

Postby stick » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:24 pm

Do the stock A/C and Radiator fans bolt right up to it with no modification?
91 CRX Si (frost white), 91½ CRX Si SE #758 (being restored), 91½ CRX Si SE #759
stick

Postby Charles » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:11 pm

I bought SPAL fans as I have a Kamikazi header and the clearance was tight.
Charles
Charles

Postby stick » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:34 pm

Charles wrote:I bought SPAL fans as I have a Kamikazi header and the clearance was tight.

Do those plug right in? or did you have to splice the wiring?
stick

Postby Charles » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:15 pm

Splice. No big deal.
Charles
Charles

Postby Ti Rider » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:39 pm

stickershop wrote:Do the stock A/C and Radiator fans bolt right up to it with no modification?

Yes, they do. My car is mostly stock, no header. The two core is a little bit wider but if you have the factory exhaust manifold it isn't a tight fit. It even has bolt flanges for the air intake to the factory air box. I even geeked out on mine and took the warning stickers off my OEM radiator then I put on my new one.........
'89 Blade Silver CRX Si
Member #17
Ti Rider

Postby Languid » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:39 pm

Nice... Thanks for the suggestions guys. :D
Languid

Postby Charles » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:58 pm

It really is a nice drop in. Though to be honest, for NA applications a single-core or even a half radiator is probably enough cooling power. But then again, we can't leave well enough alone, can we? :lol: Just having a dual core under there makes me feel better. As soon as I change my fluid and add Water Wetter, I will be all set for summer.

I a very happy with the choice however since the all metal is about the same price a the OEM-type with plastic top.
Charles
Charles

Postby bobski » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:35 pm

Ti Rider wrote:I have the same radiator, same manufacturer, different vendor. I've had it for a couple of years. Not a single problem. It dropped right in.

X2 - I've had mine for a year and change without any issues. A few of the bolt holes for the fans and intake and such were off by a fraction of an inch, but nothing that got in the way of installation.
bobski

Postby Languid » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:10 am

Hm, I think the recommended radiator is actually the radiator I was considering from Radiatorbarn.com: CSF radiator?
Languid

Postby zookr » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:37 pm

http://www.absoluteradiator.com/FanStore.asp

So then - would the 9-inch Fluidyne (or Maradyne) electric puller fan (or reversible, which is better?) fit into this app. along w/the metal 2-row radiator you'd mentioned? Would the wiring kit there @ the bottom of the page (above) also be called for for this install? Like to get this kind of mod into mine this year along w/the engine swapover.
Thanks, glad to have run across this subject . . . .
zookr

Postby Languid » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:27 pm

Just as a follow up to anyone else who's interested, I called and confirmed that the radiators I linked earlier are in fact made by CSF. I placed an order for a single-core model, but they carry both single and dual core models for CRXs. Single core is just under $85 shipped, dual core just under $115 shipped.

I'll post again when the radiator arrives and report on shipping, packaging, etc. From previous posts it sounds like the fitment shouldn't be an issue :D

-Lang
Languid

Return to Modification Garage