(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Ohisofly's 91 si project - her name is Kimmy

Show off your CRX. Member rides, pictures, project threads and galleries can go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Ohisofly's 91 si project - her name is Kimmy

Postby ohisofly » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:49 pm

After being a member for a while, I guess it's time to start my own build thread. I got this car for my 17th birthday, and have had it for 9 months or so. Shortly after getting this car, I made the mistake of getting some halo headlights with black corner lights. Now I'm over that ricer stage, and I have better plans for the car. I've also put a wink mirror in the crx, which is the best $20 I've ever spent. When I bought the car, here's what it had done.

- b18a1 engine swap
- Hasport mounts
- Carbon fiber hood
- Greddy exhaust
- AEM intake
- Unknown headers
- Altezza tail lights
- 17” Motegi rims
- Pioneer head unit
- Aftermarket door speakers
- Short throw shifter

Another thing to note is that the entire car is lined with dynamat extreme. The previous owner did this because this was a competition db drag car. He told me he held the db record for loudest compact car in the Northeast. Here's a video of it in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygcdi3sJHkw

The previous owner removed all of his competition audio stuff, in case anyone was wondering. I don't have many pics of the car when I first got it, but that video does a good enough job. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to leave them below. I'm fresh out of high school and don't know much about cars. In the future, I plan to use this car for autocross occasionally and restoring it. Here's some pictures of how it currently stands.

Currently I'm working on a hood that I just bought for the rex. It was $40 off of craigslist. It was tahiti green but it was spray painted black. They spray painted over a decal as well :crazy:

Here's the hood pins that came with the hood

This is the carbon fiber hood that's currently on the car. It's REALLY faded, as well as having some other damage, and in my opinion not worth trying to repair.

The paint stripper! Worked amazing at first, but when it came down to the tahiti green it let me down, I used that entire container, as well as a smaller container of paint stripper and there was still paint on the hood.

Me saying goodbye to the spray paint hack job

My brother helping out

My girlfriend hiding in the background haha

Yummy

My other bro helping, wow this is turning into a family thing..

After the paint stripper was gone, I went and bought a wire brush head for the drill to finish the job

Someone doesn't like pictures :lol:

Paint stripper making me want to kill myself

Getting there slowly

I learned an important lesson about bondo; use only enough as necessary.

One of my friends finishing up the bondo

My camera broke, but currently I'm sanding the bondo and prepping the hood for paint. I'm debating if I should paint (spray paint) it white or black, because I don't have the funds to get the entire car painted. At first thought it was obvious that I should paint the hood white, but a freshly painted white hood vs. the 20 year old paint job on the crx has me questioning it. Oh yea, I'm a pic whore if you haven't noticed :mrgreen:
Last edited by ohisofly on Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1991 Crx Si - My build thread

"I believe in the sun even when it is not shining. I believe in love even when I feel it not. I believe in God even when He is silent." -Written on a wall in a concentration camp
ohisofly

Re: Ohisofly's 91 si project

Postby Jet805 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:06 pm

should change those lights back to stock asap :)... i like your back yard must be nice having that much open space.
Jet805

Postby grantscrx » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:09 am

Take your car to an autobody supply shop they can mix up a can to match your faded paint quite well
grantscrx

Postby ohisofly » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:44 pm

Jet805 wrote:should change those lights back to stock asap :)... i like your back yard must be nice having that much open space.

Yea, I plan on doing that soon. It's so hard to find stock tail lights without paying an arm and a leg :( And the yard is only half an acre or so 8)

grantscrx wrote:Take your car to an autobody supply shop they can mix up a can to match your faded paint quite well

I didn't know you could do that, but maybe that will be an option.

"I believe in the sun even when it is not shining. I believe in love even when I feel it not. I believe in God even when He is silent." -Written on a wall in a concentration camp
ohisofly

Postby ohisofly » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:19 pm

Still working on the bondo, I just finished the 7th layer (I'm didn't use enough most of the times). I might do one more layer to fill in all the tiny holes. Pics to come

ohisofly

Postby H22_CRX » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:49 pm

shouldnt of stripped all of the paint and learn how to spread bondo so you can feather edge it a lot easier just a little tip
72k Rex restoration!
http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=46596 <-------Check it out!
H22_CRX

Postby ohisofly » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:15 pm

Still working on sanding, but hopefully I'll be done tomorrow. Sorry for the crappy pics, they were taken with my phone since I still need a new camera. Any tips for spray painting the hood? I was planning on just spraying a couple layers of primer and then the actual paint, wetsanding in between coats. I've never tried wet sanding though so that should be a learning experience. Here's some pics of the bondo

This is the third coat of bondo (sanded)

More sanding!

More bondo!

This is the drivers side, just about done

ohisofly

Postby ohisofly » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:56 pm

I just got some primer and paint for the hood, should be my project tomorrow if everything goes well.

ohisofly

Postby crxbrad » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:22 pm

Remove subs immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gay!!
2006 Acura TL(daily driver)
2004 Pilot EX-L
crxbrad

Postby ohisofly » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:00 pm

crxbrad wrote:Remove subs immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gay!!

?

ohisofly

Postby crxbrad » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:45 pm

ohisofly wrote:

?

Oh. Sorry dude, I didn't read this part.....
The previous owner removed all of his competition audio stuff, in case anyone was wondering. I don't have many pics of the car when I first got it, but that video does a good enough job.

That back hatch was being beat to death w/the subs.
2006 Acura TL(daily driver)
2004 Pilot EX-L
crxbrad

Postby Baker » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:01 am

I think I would have put the $40 you spent on the metal hood, and put the time and money into re-clearing the CF one and painting it if you wanted.
That seems like it would have been easier, it looks like that's all it needed.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby ohisofly » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:43 am

crxbrad wrote:
ohisofly wrote:

?

Oh. Sorry dude, I didn't read this part.....
The previous owner removed all of his competition audio stuff, in case anyone was wondering. I don't have many pics of the car when I first got it, but that video does a good enough job.

That back hatch was being beat to death w/the subs.

It's ok, and yea those competition speakers he had were crazy.

Baker wrote:I think I would have put the $40 you spent on the metal hood, and put the time and money into re-clearing the CF one and painting it if you wanted.
That seems like it would have been easier, it looks like that's all it needed.

I'll try to get more pics, but it's worse than it looks

ohisofly

Postby ohisofly » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:04 pm

I painted the hood yesterday, still needs a couple more coats but it isn't that bad. For primer I just used the entire can that's posted above. I did 3 coats with the actual paint, but the hood still needs more. Due to wet sanding the paint is really thin in some parts. You can see the outline of where the bondo is as well, but it came out very nice other than that. Hopefully with more coats that will become less visible. I just got 2 more cans of paint today, so sometime in the near future it'll get finished. Unfortunately I can't use the garage anymore to paint the hood so I'm just gonna have to paint it in my back yard. Here's some pics.

Garage

Paint Booth

Used this to clean the hood before the first coat of primer

That hood didn't even look dirty!

My happy face

Hello paint

Tiger Stripes

I love having spray paint on my face

What the hood currently looks like after it had the night to dry. I thought that if I wet sanded it really lightly that would finish it off, but it turned out to make the hood look horrible. Now there's a bunch of lines in it from the sand paper (600 grit). I'll probably just use up the two cans I just got without wet sanding. If anyone has any tips that would be great.

Here it is in the sunlight, I sprayed it down with the hose so you can see all the imperfections.

It looked fine before I wet sanded it this morning, so hopefully it'll look that good after I use up the two cans I just got. I guess I can't expect it to be perfect since it's just spray paint. Here's a pic of the carbon fiber hood, I'm not sure what's going on here to be honest but it doesn't look like I could repair it

ohisofly

Postby ohisofly » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:38 pm

Finished painting the hood last night, I had to do it after it got dark since the high was like 100

The paint left a lot of residue on the plastic I was using, mommy wasn't very happy about that

I'll probably put the hood on tonight. More pics to come

ohisofly

Postby MexiChriS » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:56 pm

dang, got all into this project, ended to soon, hope to see some more work soon! :bounce:
1988 CRX Si (shell) D16z6 OBD1 In Progress <--- Build Thread
1990 Civic Wagon D15b2 (SOLD)
1972 Datsun 240z - L24 w/stock SU Carbs (SOLD)
MexiChriS

Postby ohisofly » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:32 pm

Today while I was at work, this kid

and another one of my friends decided to pick up my rex and make it take up two parking spots :x

But anyways, tonight I got the new hood on. Had to wait till it was dark since it was around 100 degrees again today. Didn't get any pics of the new hood on (because it got too dark), but I did snap some pics with the old hood off

ohisofly

Postby ohisofly » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:25 am

MexiChriS wrote:dang, got all into this project, ended to soon, hope to see some more work soon! :bounce:

Here you go my friend :D

Here's some pics of the new hood

Here it is on the car, I know there's finger print marks but that's because I didn't wash it off good since it was painted

Oh yea, I guess I have to let you guys in on the secret that it's a chalkboard hood. Below I was using the chalk to cover the entire hood (as stated on the spray paint can) to prep the hood before I actually start drawing on it.

You guys like my white hood?!?! That bondo isn't noticeable at all.. :x

Here's a pic of after I washed the hood off with a hose. You can't tell from the pics, but the chalk left a TON of scratches in the hood. I had the chalk on it's side and just covered the whole thing, just like the spray paint can told me to do. The scratches look deep, so I don't think they're gonna be coming out. :cry:

To make things worse, there's a really tiny spot where the chalkboard paint chipped off. Maybe half the size of a dime, but it still sucks. If I was ever going to do this again, I would definitely use the roll on chalkboard paint. But with all of that to the side, I think the hood looks awesome. It sure does turn heads :mrgreen:

Even though I have way too much time put into the hood, I still love it. Wouldn't say that I'd do it again if I had the chance, but the chalkboard hood is pretty awesome.

ohisofly

Postby ohisofly » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:16 pm

I guess nobody likes the chalkboard hood :blabla: Well anyways, today I was on the way to the movies and some guy pulls up next to me on a bike and turns it off (at a red light). He says he knew the guy that owned the car prior to me, and asked how much I paid for it. He said he wants a crx really bad, doesn't matter if it's running or not. I told him to look on craigslist, although I don't think he knew what that was. He told me where he lived and said to let him know if I ever wanted to get rid of it. Kinda random :lol:

Tomorrow I'm going to my first autocross, should be interesting. I'll be in the SMF class, wish me luck :biggrin:

ohisofly

Postby ohisofly » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:16 pm

Random pic that I liked

Putting my girlfriend to work. Hey, I needed someone to help me put the 17's on :lol:

The hood at the autocross. I had chalk sitting on the hood but I guess no one felt like writing on it :rolleyes1:

Some pics of other cars

These custom cars were pretty neat

And the fastest car at the autocross was..

The guy who owned it said that it had a stock d15, and that it weighed 1525 lbs. I don't see how that's possible, but that's what he said. He was kind of a jerk to be honest. I saw another crx at the autocross, so I went up and asked him if he was on crxcommunity. After an awkward 5 seconds of silence he says “no”. I was starting to feel the crx hate :(

Going through the novice walk

Here's a youtube vid of the autocross, I got 4 runs in. I think the timing on the first run was way off though.

I had a blast at the autocross. The guys working the corner I was at were really nice and gave me a lot of good advice. The only problem I really had was keeping the tires from sliding. I could only give it so much gas before I would just be all over the place. I almost lost it a couple times. Let me know what you guys think. The fastest time the d15 crx ran was a 44.xxx I believe.

ohisofly

Postby ohisofly » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:19 pm

I almost forgot that I can't take credit for the video, my friend Dustin recorded it and did all the editing and such. Thanks bro :D

ohisofly

Postby ohisofly » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:46 am

Sooo today I get off work and saw some McDonalds cups laying behind my car. I go to look at it and some idiots poured coke all over the back of my car. Yay :rolleyes1:
Last edited by ohisofly on Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

ohisofly

Postby Willyboy » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:17 am

Like the chalkboard idea,I would have it that way until i painted the car lol
Good job on your car though,looking foward to what else your going to do :-)b
1990 CRX Si 5_Speed Y-49
Xbox GT: I Willyboy I
Willyboy

Postby ohisofly » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:10 am

Willyboy wrote:Like the chalkboard idea,I would have it that way until i painted the car lol
Good job on your car though,looking foward to what else your going to do :-)b

Thanks bro :D Here's a pic of the hood from today

I have a funny story about earlier today :lol: So I took my friend for a ride in my car this morning, and we turned into a development to turn around. So I see about 30 kids (ages around 8-10) walking down the road to go to a church bible camp. *Note I was driving normal the entire time, and when i saw all the kids I especially slowed down to maybe 10mph or so*. So I get to the stop sign, and one of the kids says "That's a slow car!" to one of his friends I assume. My friend yells back "It's a fast car!" and then I started feathering the gas just to mess around. Then another kid yells "Showoff!" to me as I drive away.

I thought it was pretty funny. The chalk on the hood made a mess since it rained the previous night, maybe that made my car 'slow', who knows. Good stuff 8)

ohisofly

Postby The Toto » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:46 pm

ohisofly wrote:I guess nobody likes the chalkboard hood :blabla: Well anyways, today I was on the way to the movies and some guy pulls up next to me on a bike and turns it off (at a red light). He says he knew the guy that owned the car prior to me, and asked how much I paid for it. He said he wants a crx really bad, doesn't matter if it's running or not. I told him to look on craigslist, although I don't think he knew what that was. He told me where he lived and said to let him know if I ever wanted to get rid of it. Kinda random :lol:

Tomorrow I'm going to my first autocross, should be interesting. I'll be in the SMF class, wish me luck :biggrin:

Ha ha. Sorry man! I've been busy with the move... :D Mad props yo!
Project Autobot
The Toto

Next

Return to The Showroom